UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Jun 2020, 11:28 am   #41
6.3volts
Pentode

Default Re: Pye 350/C "All Electric Three" 1929

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJL View Post
You are dealing with valves that don't like much of a load so higher primary inductance will give better LF response and then if you want some gain you need to wind 4 times that amount for the secondary. I also rewind these by hand and 12000 turns for a secondary is not unheard of.
Thanks for your input. I see your point and may revisit the transformer in the future if my results are poor.
Jonathan.
Old 10th Aug 2020, 3:42 pm   #42
6.3volts
Pentode

Some time later---

The set is working well, my BBC headphones are quite loud and the set pulls in such stations as are available in my rural area. LW is very good and the sound quality in the phones is excellent. I very quickly learned to take the phones off before operating the wavechange switch as I am rewarded with a VERY loud crack which leaves me wondering when I will be able to hear properly again.

The case came up well and needed stripping and very little sanding. The wood is hard and close grained and took an easy shine. The back was missing (of course) and by luck I found some very clear pics online. By careful measurement and some guesswork I arrived at a plan using imperial sizes and I am very pleased with the result. My attempts at staining are more ok than good but at a distance and in poor light it looks ok.
The finish on the front panel is primer and a felt pen. Hopefully to be improved in time.

I thought it might help if I added some notes and numbers to my copy of R Thornton's 2004 "All Electric Three" in case this is of interest to any other owners. I hope to do this when time permits and then I believe this set will be done. I propose to post my notes (photos of my printout of Mr Thornton's original with my additions written on them) here if that is within the forum rules and they will be freely available without restrictions on their use.
Regards to all Jonathan.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200810_145444.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	213153   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200810_145537.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	213154   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200810_145602.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	213155   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200810_145630.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	213156  
Old 10th Aug 2020, 4:26 pm   #43
vinrads
Dekatron

Looks good to me I never got round to making a back for mine , another job on the list, do you intend to paint the front brown crackle finish at some later date , I did mine with black crackle and then over painted it brown looks ok ,I have yet to do the lettering . Mick.
Old 10th Aug 2020, 9:08 pm   #44
6.3volts
Pentode

Mick, I hadn't thought of crackle, but that's a good idea. My main worry is that having left it in primer I might find the job slipping to the back of the queue.
Lettering was never my strong point so I'm wondering how to do that on a crackle finish.
Jonathan.
Closed Thread