UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Mar 2010, 8:51 pm   #1
murphyv310
Dekatron

Default Hoard, dump, or give away?

Hi.
Over the last 10 or so years I have met many collectors, some have only a few sets and little in the way of spares, others have stuff everywhere in all sorts of rooms, boxes etc. Often they are advanced in years, suffer with ill health and would never be able to fix sets or even use their spares.
Collectors die as well, and often wives or family have to get rid of this stuff, usually it would be taken to the dump.

So what do you think, keep everything and hoard it up, leave it to loved ones to dispose of when we die, or have a reasonable collection that can be managed, repaired and gives pleasure, do we dump stuff if not needed, or offer it for free or a price.

I am asking this as over the last few months a certain friend has decided to throw stuff out and not offer it to anyone, this includes interstage transformers, speakers, radio's, complete 405 line tv's 78's etc etc.

comments please
Old 2nd Mar 2010, 9:04 pm   #2
fidobsa
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Hoard, dump, or give away?

My father kept a load of stuff long after he could have done anything with it. He was aware that it would all need to be disposed of after he died though. When he was told he had lung cancer he did start chucking out various old valve radio chassis etc and a lot of it was gone by the time I went down for his funeral. Of course, there were still thousands of cassettes, CDs, 78 records, sheet music books etc so mum still has some sorting out to do.
Old 2nd Mar 2010, 9:05 pm   #3
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyv310 View Post
I am asking this as over the last few months a certain friend has decided to throw stuff out and not offer it to anyone, this includes interstage transformers, speakers, radio's, complete 405 line tv's 78's etc etc.
In these circles that's a hanging offence. He can't be much of a friend if he didn't give you an option to take the lot before heading for the tip. I can understand anyone wanting an easy solution, especially if elderly or unwell, but his attitude is just horrible.

All of us acquire a certain amount of stuff. Some more than others A few wise souls sell or donate their collections while they are still in full control. Others may leave an unfortunate problem for their heirs.
Old 2nd Mar 2010, 9:14 pm   #4
G8VAT Wolfman
Retired Dormant Member

I already think I should reduce my own clutter so as not to leave it for others to sort out, it just doesn't seem to be getting less.. more, if anything.

Anyone who has broken a dead relatives home must have seen all those little cherished objects which now are worthless without the owner, they usually simply end up in the bin since they have to go 'somewhere'.. sad but true.

I'm afraid your friend is simply taking an easy option and it sounds like quite a selfish one too, although he might simply not want to burden anyone with his problem.
I think you need to talk to him if there are historical valuables going to landfill.
Old 2nd Mar 2010, 9:17 pm   #5
mark pirate
Dekatron

Quote:
but his attitude is just horrible.
I could not agree more, i would rather give it away than dump it, it is a criminal waste
I myself will have to slim down my collection soon, as i will be moving house (if i can sell this one!)
But i promise i will not dump anything

Mark
Old 2nd Mar 2010, 10:35 pm   #6
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

Arrangement should be made for stuff to be sold , given away or in event of death someone to organise the sympathetic disposal of stuff ,otherwise whats the point in saving it in the first place .The BVWS have to take stuff on in these cases ,and a lot is put into the frequent auctions. This helps out who would be lumbered with stuff otherwise or may destroy it !
Old 2nd Mar 2010, 11:50 pm   #7
mickash
Hexode

It's probably best to get rid of most of your stuff before it gets too late! Sell if possible but only dump stuff that really is rubbish.

Anything that is kept you could leave a note with each item to say what it is and give some kind of history if possible. That way, whoever is left with the job of clearing the stuff, when you've croaked, will be better prepared to dispose of it in the best way. You could even leave instructions of where you want it all to go.

I've already started getting rid of stuff, I'm in my late 40s. I'll only keep stuff that I've had since I was a kid.

Michael.
Old 3rd Mar 2010, 12:18 am   #8
MichaelR
Retired Dormant Member

I think this syndrome of hoarding can become common among collectors. There is not just the wish to own and use radio's and keep them alive but a collector can become obsessive , acquiring parts with good intent but the reality is that you will never use or need them. On the other hand you then find someone trying to get a set going but cannot find the required part or parts as they are being hoarded by many well meaning collectors.

These hard economic times may inspire people to find good homes for parts or sets that they really do not have a desire or need to keep.Surely this site is a great example of how such good homes could possible be found

Overall as in the rest of life moderation is the healthy route IMHO.

Mike
Old 3rd Mar 2010, 12:21 am   #9
Steve_P
Dekatron

Well everyone who has been here knows that I'm a hoarder. A very useful habit to have, as I can find most things among my 'pile of junk' - sorry treasures.

When I die, I have picked friends to take over all my stuff, and of course the BVWS.

Chas E. Miller said that everything should be kept - I agree with this.

Your 'friend' ought to be strung up for chucking stuff like that, Trevor.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 3rd Mar 2010, 9:07 pm   #10
AC/HL
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyv310 View Post
Hi.
comments please
How about offering to help with transport to the tip
Old 3rd Mar 2010, 9:14 pm   #11
Sean Williams
Dekatron

I used to hoard everything, however, it got to a stage where I was having to rent space just to store stuff!

I have been thinning out the collection of bits here for some time now - I can now move freely around my shed and shack, and my loft is almost empty.

Hoarding is no good if you arent going to do anything with the stuff - it will just pile up, and end up damaged... A nose in the Radiophile auction store is testament to this!

I say sell/donate items you are not going to deal with within a couple of years of owning them!
Old 3rd Mar 2010, 9:29 pm   #12
fidobsa
Retired Dormant Member

Yes, I suppose there is a difference between a hoard and a collection. There was a very eccentric chap near here who had lots of old cars from the '50s & '60s. They were all just left to rot so most were beyond redemption but still had a few useful bits for anyone with the same model. He would never part with anything. If you asked him for anything he would claim he was keeping the car for old Jim or Bill or whoever. If these owners ever existed they were probably long gone. When he died the whole lot went for scrap metal.
Old 3rd Mar 2010, 9:50 pm   #13
murphyv310
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidobsa View Post
Yes, I suppose there is a difference between a hoard and a collection
Hello Fidobsa
Your "dead" right and your little story is repeated throughout the land.
I get great pleasure when giving something away so long as I know it will be used and not to land up at the dump or in a drawer forgotten about.

The friend I have that has been throwing things away is now probably in some kind of crisis, he is getting older and I have noticed in the past few weeks subtle changes in his personality, I hope its not the start of something serious, although his wife says he's just a miserable old br

The replies have been very interesting and its good to know not everyone is a horder.
Old 3rd Mar 2010, 10:16 pm   #14
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

It's true that most of what we collect will outlast us - but isn't that the very aim of preservation? It's fascinating to speculate about the value of vintage radios in perhaps 200 years time. In the meantime, I've bequeathed all my radios and components to the BVWS and my valve collection to the National Valve Museum.

I keep a regular eye on the 'parts wanted' section of the Forum, and try to help whenever I can. One day, maybe even this year, I'll book a table at the NVCF and sell off most of the sets still languishing in the lower reaches of my 'to do' pile.

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 3rd Mar 2010, 10:22 pm   #15
Andy Day
Pentode

Oh dear, this is a perennial problem isn't it? My wife is terrified of the prospect of me dropping off the tree and leaving her with all my 'rubbish' (ie anything she doesn't understand) to dispose of.

But something occurs to me. Would it be possible to put a codicile on one's will to gift stuff to a person or organisation? Now some of the motorcycle clubs I'm a member of have spares schemes, so I suppose you could give appropriate things to them. But is there an organisation that would accept collections of radio related gear?

Hi Phil, I see you have done something along these lines. Could you tell us how?
Old 3rd Mar 2010, 10:34 pm   #16
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

I think I would donate any stuff my familly did not want to the BVWS rather than leave it to be thrown in the skip destined for a landfill site.
Old 3rd Mar 2010, 10:35 pm   #17
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

My suggestion (and I've actually done it) is to leave a note with the will. In my case this is names and contact details of 2 trusted friends who can be asked by the executors to assist in dealing with the "stuff". This doesn't bind the executors in any way but assists them in their task. Here it is, with private details replaced by *****. It is on my letterhead and signed.

Quote:
To whom it may concern regarding the execution of my Will.

This document is not part of my will nor is it intended to be binding on the executors of my will. It is offered to assist the executors of my will.

Part of my estate comprises a substantial quantity of electronic equipment and other items whose purpose may not be obvious. The best route for disposal of these items may not be immediately apparent to the executors. The following people are trusted friends who should be able to advise the executors.

******details of A**********

****** has particular expertise in the field of historic radio and television equipment. He will also be able to advise on my player piano and associated rolls.

***details of B******

******* has much experience of electronic equipment, particularly in the fields of audio and sound recording.

Neither *****nor *****will expect any payment for their assistance but the executors may, at their discretion, allow both of them to take small items from my estate. The definition of small is left to the discretion of the executors but may be safely assumed to include any electronic components, records, CDs and books. I would hope that the executor's definition of "small" errs on the side of generosity. Both ******and ****** may wish to acquire larger items from my estate. They can be relied upon to offer fair prices.
Old 24th Mar 2010, 4:09 pm   #18
reelguy
Heptode

Very interesting thread,
Been thinking along the lines of downsizing my stuff for some time. But I thought I could take my time { read. put it off !}
I thought I would sell off my better quality recorders first as I much prefer fiddling with older stuff.And gradually part with other stuff later.
But as I have so much stuff I really do not know where to start.

Anyway, Something happened that was a bit of an awakening call.
Just over a week ago I thought I had bad indegestion but it turned out at the hospital I had had a mini heart attack. .......had an op and now can't drive for four weeks and can't lift heavy loads. Most of my recorders are b....y heavy.

So it looks like I may have to part with some stuff sooner rather than later.
Perhaps stick to Uher. Phonotrix.and similar poratables...
Just a couple of thoughts during enforced rest.
Peter W.........Reelguy
PS. DUMP STUFF DUMP STUFF
Old 24th Mar 2010, 4:44 pm   #19
yestertech
Nonode

Hi Peter
Sorry to hear of your health problems.
Home your recuperation is going OK.
As you say, life changing events are sometimes a good wakeup call

My favourite quote was from a collector friend when surveying a mass of radio, electronic and vintage car projects with which the seller of this particular radio was surrounded.
He just looked at the seller deadpan and asked
".....and how long were you planning on living then ? "
Classic.

Andy
Old 24th Mar 2010, 8:21 pm   #20
AlanBeckett
Rest in Peace

Peter,
The same thing happened to me last November. I wouldn't worry to much about the lifting unless you're thinking of moving the whole lot from one end of the garden to the other in one go. I feel better now than I did then apart from the side effects of all the pills and the continuous rattling
Don't panic yet, and good luck.
Alan
Closed Thread