UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 26th May 2010, 1:37 pm   #1
Alan Stepney
Rest in Peace

Default What parts cost to make

Most people will recall what they paid for components in the past.
Few will know exactly what the manufacturing cost of those parts was.

I recently found some papers from a company for whom I worked, with details of the cost of manufacture / purchase of various parts.

These are the actual basic cost of manufacture, excluding any profit or uplift for sales to other companies within the same group.

Where parts were bought-in, the prices are the lowest that could be obtained with bulk orders.

These relate to 1969, and are in old pence (d) not (p).

Semiconductors.
BA 105 15.0
BA 182 10.025

BB105 15.0

BF180 17.9
BF181 17.9
BF194 10.4
BF197 14.0
BF200 17.9

Zener diode 11.0

V.D.R. 3.8

Thermistor 7.0

Resistors (1/8w close tol) 1.9
Resistors (CR25) .051

Skel. pre-sets 8.0

Ceramic C’s 1.775

UHF 3 transistor tuner unit 373.9d

VHF tuner unit 435d
Old 26th May 2010, 2:34 pm   #2
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Default Re: What parts cost to make

Thats sounds correct for the time as i remember RS resistors at 1 old penny each back in 1962!

David
Old 26th May 2010, 5:28 pm   #3
fidobsa
Retired Dormant Member

They seem expensive to me, bearing in mind that this would be before the run-away inflation of the '70s. I suppose semiconductors in particular have been getting cheaper over the years. I seem to recall a BC108 was about 15 new pence when I started buying them in the mid '70s but I bet they were a lot cheaper if ordering 10,000 so the manufacturing cost was probably only 2 or 3 pence each.
Old 26th May 2010, 7:09 pm   #4
Alan Stepney
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidobsa View Post

...so the manufacturing cost was probably only 2 or 3 pence each.
The figures given are the actual manufacturing cost.

To those would be added a margin for profit, etc, this varying according to where the item was going.

Other companies within the same group got the best prices (and even that varied), then other manufacturers, and at the bottom of the list (hence paying the highest prices) wholesalers and via them, the retail trade.
Old 27th May 2010, 10:31 am   #5
brianc
Rest in Peace

I used to work for Ampex, the video and audio recorder people. One of their products was a VR3000 which was a "portable" 2in quad VTR. It sold for - wait for it - £45,000 in the early 1970s. The prime cost, in other words the manufacturing costs, ignoring developement costs and overheads, was about £2,000. They had a virtual monopoly on this form of VTR as the RCA equivalent was twice as big and very few were sold. Prices are very often adjusted to what the market will stand and bear no resemblance to actual costs.
Cheers
Brian
Closed Thread