UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Aug 2018, 12:43 am   #1
hannahs radios
Hexode

Default Tiny adaptor

My friend gave me a tiny adaptor its a 3 way job rated at just 2 amps ive not seen one in years so was very pleased when he gave it to me. A couple of odd things about it is that on one side live and neutral are reversed I think ive read on here of the 5 amp ones having one socket reversed but cant remember what post that was in. Secondly its live pin appears to be damaged in that around half its length there is only half the pin there does anyone know if this was a deliberate feature? Looking at the neutral and earth pins they are a solid peice of metal it doesn't look like its made in two halves so the live pins,a bit of a mystery. Incidentally it fits the socket ok and works well I think it is made by MK as its similar in style to a 5/15 amp MK one I have except its tiny and is white not brown
Old 3rd Aug 2018, 9:39 am   #2
OscarFoxtrot
Heptode

Default Re: Tiny adaptor

This one is Clang, not MK.
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...angadapter.jpg

They can be right bggrs to reassemble if you take them apart. The short live pin sounds like it's not fixed into the case moulding properly.
Old 3rd Aug 2018, 10:04 am   #3
emeritus
Dekatron

Possibly somewhere in this closed thread:

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...t=71262&page=7

post #132 in one example.
Old 3rd Aug 2018, 11:53 am   #4
hannahs radios
Hexode

Oscar foxtrot that looks like mine so that means mines probably clang which is means my 5/15 amp ones mite also be clang il take one out and check again.thanks for putting the link in for that foto
Old 3rd Aug 2018, 12:10 pm   #5
Dave Moll
Dekatron

I think the reversed polarity on one of the side sockets was a matter of taking the easy way out in having conductors that ran in a straight line between the two side sockets, whereas a crossover would have been required to achieve the same polarity on each.

I don't recall split pins on any that I have had, but I'll dig some out after lunch to check.
Old 3rd Aug 2018, 12:24 pm   #6
AC/HL
Dekatron

Before the universal 13A system, 2A was one of the hierarchy of old sizes, commonly used for lamps etc. It sounds like it has lost a pin at some time, and replaced with a split type. As it's 3 pin, there would be no need for polarisation or any other form of discrimination.
Old 3rd Aug 2018, 2:09 pm   #7
Dave Moll
Dekatron

I can't lay my hand on the box of 2A adaptors at the moment, but looking through the 5A ones, all but one have solid pins. The one pictured below, however, has split pins.

By the way, this one does the polarity correctly, but I don't intend taking it apart to show the crossover wiring inside.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5A 3-way adaptor.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	10.6 KB
ID:	166986  

Last edited by Dave Moll; 3rd Aug 2018 at 2:17 pm. Reason: By the way...
Old 3rd Aug 2018, 2:56 pm   #8
broadgage
Nonode

Sometimes these 2 amp sockets were on the same circuit as the fixed lights, for cheapness.
In better specified homes a dedicated circuit for lighting sockets was provided, this had the merit of providing a bit of redundancy in case of a fuse blowing.
Sometimes a wall switch was provided to control the lighting sockets from beside the entrance door, much more convenient than walking round to each socket.

Most appliances fitted with these plugs had a very low loading and even a 3 way adaptor was most unlikely to overload a 2 amp socket.
Apart from table lamps and floor standing lamps, the most common uses were probably radio sets, Christmas lights, and desk fans.
Old 3rd Aug 2018, 8:15 pm   #9
hannahs radios
Hexode

My adaptor doesn't have split pins let me try to explain it better the earth and neutral are solid pins probably brass the live one hashalf the pin diameter on its lower half so half looks normal the other half is only partly there in effect it only half the diameter I wish could put a foto but any way hope this explanation helps. I remember a relative of mine had a 1960s built house in Rustington near Worthing and that had those little 2 amp sockets installed for table lamps also oddly there was one of them in the boiler cupboard in the bathroom. I also remember a 5 amp socket for an extractor fan in the kitchen the rest were ordinary 13 amp sockets.
Old 4th Aug 2018, 8:50 am   #10
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadgage View Post
Sometimes these 2 amp sockets were on the same circuit as the fixed lights, for cheapness.
In better specified homes a dedicated circuit for lighting sockets was provided, this had the merit of providing a bit of redundancy in case of a fuse blowing.
Sometimes a wall switch was provided to control the lighting sockets from beside the entrance door, much more convenient than walking round to each socket.

Most appliances fitted with these plugs had a very low loading and even a 3 way adaptor was most unlikely to overload a 2 amp socket.
Apart from table lamps and floor standing lamps, the most common uses were probably radio sets, Christmas lights, and desk fans.
A special type of two-way switch was available for high class work, which allowed selection of either overhead lights or lamp sockets, depending on the ambience desired.
Old 4th Aug 2018, 9:17 am   #11
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Yes adaptors [or is it adapter?] or rather my childhood version of LEGO.

You think you have seen them all then up pops a version you have never come across before.

This range of 2 and 3 pin 2amp types were very common back in the early days of my house service calls. By the end of the 1960's they were vanishing from the skirting boards as the 1930's houses were being rewired with ring mains.

As Broadgage mentioned, in the better quality houses the 2 amp sockets were retained on the lighting circuit.

GRELCO managed to produce some bizarre examples of excellent quality, all perfectly safe if used as intended. John.
PS Any chance of a pic Hans?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Apaptors (1).jpg
Views:	195
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	167006   Click image for larger version

Name:	Apaptors (2).jpg
Views:	169
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	167007  
Old 4th Aug 2018, 9:20 am   #12
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

I remember those adaptors: the ones I recall used a large diameter tubular 'nut' with 2 screwdriver-notches, screwed over the transverse earth-socket, to hold the 2 halves together.

2-amp 3-pin sockets were until recently still widely used in places like hotels for bedside-table lights, controlled by the room's lighting switches/dimmers. These days we have remotely-controllable-from-your-phone "smart" light-bulbs/dimmers and sockets instead.
Old 4th Aug 2018, 11:09 am   #13
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannahs radios View Post
My adaptor doesn't have split pins ... the live one has half the pin diameter on its lower half.
I see now where the confusion has arisen. I (and presumably others) assumed that the lower half of the pin was of semicircular profile, like a split pin with one half missing, but what you're saying is that the thinner portion has a circular profile of half the diameter. This sounds very odd, so it's a shame you don't have the facilities for posting a picture.
Old 4th Aug 2018, 11:32 am   #14
hannahs radios
Hexode

Heatercathodeshort.

Most of the adapters you have in your picture are like the ones in my collection. My mate often brings me a few when he visits, I think he spends a lot of time on eBay! I have also one odd socket, it has smaller pin sizes than a 5 amp also shorter spacing between pins, it seems to be a halfway between 2 and 5 amp most odd.

Dave Moll.

Yes you've got it. I think it has been damaged at some point in its life although there's no other sign of ill treatment, as I said it works well. I've not put much load on it just a radio cassette player. The socket on my plug board is rather reluctant to accept the new plugs I bought but the adaptor fitted perfectly and the new plugs fit into it easily as well, so good all round really.
Old 4th Aug 2018, 12:12 pm   #15
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
2-amp 3-pin sockets were until recently still widely used in places like hotels for bedside-table lights, controlled by the room's lighting switches/dimmers.
My flat, built in 2001, has three 5A 3 pin sockets in the lounge operated by one of the switches on the wall light switch. It's a nice feature but not the sort of thing that would be on my property buying priority list.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 4th Aug 2018, 12:31 pm   #16
vidjoman
Dekatron

Quote:
I have also one odd socket its smaller pin size than 5 amp also shorter spacing between pins it seems to be a halfway between 2 and 5 amp most odd.
I recall seeing a wall mounted twin socket labelled 'Aerial + Earth' so clearly meant for use with a radio. I think the spacing was closer than a 2 amp power socket and small pins required - possibly the same a wander plugs 3mm. It was brown and fitted in a house built about the 1920's/30's.
Old 4th Aug 2018, 12:39 pm   #17
factory
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moll View Post
I see now where the confusion has arisen. I (and presumably others) assumed that the lower half of the pin was of semicircular profile, like a split pin with one half missing, but what you're saying is that the thinner portion has a circular profile of half the diameter. This sounds very odd, so it's a shame you don't have the facilities for posting a picture.
I'm sure I have a plug with the lower part of one of the pins having a smaller diameter, together with a matching switched socket that locks it in place when the switched on. I think it was one of the bigger sizes than 2A though.

David

Last edited by factory; 4th Aug 2018 at 12:47 pm.
Old 4th Aug 2018, 4:08 pm   #18
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Extension speaker sockets are another possibility. J.
Old 4th Aug 2018, 8:53 pm   #19
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Gents, lots of these 2/3A 3pin sockets were fitted on new builds in the 60's/70's.
I believe it was for cheapness as no wiring was required up to the ceilings, all under the floorboards.

Ed
Old 4th Aug 2018, 9:01 pm   #20
OscarFoxtrot
Heptode

Quote:
... a 1960s built house... also oddly there was one of them in the boiler cupboard in the bathroom
Had one in the airing cupboard in the kitchen - used for the central heating pump.

Quite a good idea as it means plumbers don't have to be trusted to do anything involving fixed wiring.
Closed Thread