UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Jul 2018, 5:20 pm   #41
boxdoctor
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Miller Organs from Norwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerin View Post
Also my research suggests the PR-40 is supposed have a spring reverb unit. I can't see this anywhere in the cabinet but I did find a reverb tucked in to the organ wrapped in a bit of blanket...perhaps taken from the PR-40.
The reverb unit you discovered in the organ would not have come out of the PR 40. That used a "necklace" reverb unit, with the (3) springs hanging down from transducers mounted above the springs.
I think there was a version of the PR 40 without reverb, but never saw one.
The one you have in the organ was most likely an original manufacturers fitting.
Tony.
Old 6th Jul 2018, 11:57 pm   #42
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

Gosh, I wish my Norwich were as clean and tidy as that, it is going to take a lot of work to get it up to that standard.

I think I can start to date it already. In the pic 'inside original amp' there is what looks like a blue Hunts electrolytic in the foreground with the 3-letter date code YUS = 065 = week 6, 1965. Check the codes on other capacitors: 3 letters on a Hunts, two letters following TCB/ on TCC brand parts. It was probably made soon after the latest code, excepting replacement parts.

I'm interested to know what the output valves are, as I can't see any. My Norwich has three channels each with one ELL80!
Old 7th Jul 2018, 8:08 am   #43
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxdoctor View Post
The reverb unit you discovered in the organ would not have come out of the PR 40. That used a "necklace" reverb unit, with the (3) springs hanging down from transducers mounted above the springs.
I think there was a version of the PR 40 without reverb, but never saw one.
The one you have in the organ was most likely an original manufacturers fitting.
Tony.
The rectangular reverb unit might have been from a Hammond A100 or M100 organ; the same era as the PR40.
Old 17th Aug 2018, 8:48 am   #44
Station X

One post moved to this thread:-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=121108

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 18th Aug 2018, 10:04 am   #45
Costessey
Diode

Hi all.

Someone pointed me to this thread as I am interested in the Miller Organ company, my father worked for them in the 1950's. I can offer no help at all about the organs themselves but I can confirm that the factory was in Timberhill in Norwich. If I remember correctly it was next to a fish and chip shop and set back from the road, the area is different now and no trace of the location can be seen. My father was an electronics engineer (although I think he worked as a manager at Miller) he would have loved to see this discussion and to have helped with the electronics but he died in 1997.
Old 18th Aug 2018, 11:24 am   #46
Station X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costessey View Post
If I remember correctly it was next to a fish and chip shop and set back from the road, 97.
That would have been Valori's.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Closed Thread