UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 15th Jul 2018, 2:01 pm   #21
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Arrow Re: Info. on 'phone requested

Appropriate use of 'Servisol' on switches plus a clean of the pins at the BT431 plug: they were tarnished. Left for a couple of days.
Today, the test result: the 'intermittent' is now a 'permanent'.

Time for an assessment. This 'phone does not have a microphone built in; there is no battery backup for the memory; a manual will never come my way; this 'phone has a fault; this 'phone cost me nothing.
Time to part company with it. Second-hand 'phones are cheaply available in charity shops and, moreover, I do not have a pressing need for such - yet.

Al.
Old 15th Jul 2018, 2:19 pm   #22
paulsherwin

Default Re: Info. on 'phone requested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
If it is a feature phone, it may have four wires. Typically on our mini-switches such as Panansonics the feature phone has extra functionality and works on four wires.
This really only applies to commercial systems though. All the domestic speakerphones I've ever come across are 2 wire with even the ring connection being unused. The commercial systems use 4 wires to support things like putting callers on hold or transferring the call to a different extension.

Of course, if you find a phone in a skip then it may well have come out of an office and require a 4 wire connection.
Old 15th Jul 2018, 11:47 pm   #23
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Arrow Re: Info. on 'phone requested

I cannot speak for others, but for myself, I have nothing to add to this thread; I have now disposed of this 'phone.
My thanks to everyone who tried to help.

Al.
Old 16th Jul 2018, 12:00 am   #24
Oldcodger
Nonode

Default Re: Info. on 'phone requested

Panasonic did two types of phones. "System phones", which were 4w phones. Those for the older "A" series were designed to use a data pair and a speech pair, and the data pair was polarity sensitive. A later system ( from memory -SBS) also used system phones, which would work on A series, but were not polarity sensitive. Then there were the system phones designed to work on the KXT ( 4 W) and KXTD( 2 w ,with a combined speech port . Therewas also the DBS system ( I remember them as 4w ).
Then there was at least one POT- KX-T7310 ,a simple telephone, with sixteen memories on phone and designed as a superior POT extension on those systems that would accept SLT.

My post is only designed to illustrate the differing types of Panasonic system /office system phone, that need a data connection to a system to work and highlight the problems of buying any old phone. I spotted a pair of old "A" series 4w phones at a car boot one day, with a notice- "tested and working". I asked whre they had been tested- "At home " and on further enquiries was told on a BT line. Bloke ( IMHO)had no idea of what he was selling.
Closed Thread