UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 18th May 2022, 7:46 pm   #1
Budeweather
Diode

Default Bush VHF71. My first restoration!

Hi all, Im a new member! my background is in tv servicing in the 90's and 00's. I left the trade as there was little call for repairs, and now repair commercial coffee machines.
This is my first experience of valve equipment
just some help please, i have a Bush vhf71 receiver. both illumination bulbs are gone and i want to replace them. they should be 6.3v 0.115a according to the bush service manual, however the more populat 6.3v 0.15a bulbs seem available. However there are notes in the back of the manual saying these bulbs shouldnt be fitted as they can cause issues with the rectifier valve.
I see from the schematic that the bulbs are part of the current limiting in the supply of the set. Whats your thoughts please . thanks Darren
Old 19th May 2022, 10:51 am   #2
Pamphonica
Nonode

Default Re: Bush VHF71. My first restoration!

Crude ohms law shows hot resistances as follows: 6v 0.115A bulb 52 ohms, 6v 0.15A bulb 40 ohms.
So why not try the 6V 0.15A bulbs and add a 12 ohm resistor in series with each to make up the difference. The rest of the circuit won't notice the difference. The bulbs might be a tiny bit dimmer than the originals, but not much.
Worth trying?
-Jeremy
Old 19th May 2022, 12:43 pm   #3
Budeweather
Diode

Default Re: Bush VHF71. My first restoration!

Hi, thanks, this was what I was thinking! Regards.
Closed Thread