UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Jun 2022, 10:59 am   #1
Jon_G4MDC
Nonode

Default Fluke TL175 DVM Test Leads

I wonder if anyone else has had trouble with these?

I have a pair which came with a Fluke 177 DVM that I purchased new about 3 years ago.

Both Red and Black developed high resistance at the connection between lead and probe. They measured about 0.6 Ohm each where normally the reading would be ~0.1 Ohm. They were sensitive to movement as if the inner conductor had broken.

Initially I blamed myself for wrapping them around the meter when not in use so causing flexing in the strain relief. Eventually it got bad enough to want to do something about it and I cut them open at the apparent break and resoldered.

Normal service was resumed for a while but now they have gone back to the old behaviour.

I have them opened up again at the old cut and my soldered joint is still fine. Tugging there didn't pull out wire from another break but it has restored the resistance to 0.1 Ohm! Now I'm thinking that the real dodgy joint must be down inside the body of the probe but I have no idea how, or if, it would come apart.

Has anyone been here before please? I would like to repair them to use on another knock about DVM for less critical duty. I know they are no longer any good for CAT III 1000V! For the 177 I have already bought replacements.
Old 9th Jun 2022, 12:44 pm   #2
chriswood1900
Octode

Default Re: Fluke TL175 DVM Test Leads

I had a similar problem with only the red lead just where the lead enters the probe body, I bought a new pair and chopped the probes off and reused the leads with some crocodile clips on the end. I have found the moulded leads very hard to repair safely hence replacing them, I don't like taking chances on leads which I use for measuring high voltages.
Old 9th Jun 2022, 4:16 pm   #3
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

I don’t know what model Fluke leads I had at work, but they went just like yours! They got replaced eventually, took some doing, but tape bombs on each probe soon got health and safety’s attention! Best way to get anything replaced!

Regards
Lloyd
Old 9th Jun 2022, 7:19 pm   #4
Jon_G4MDC
Nonode

I like your tactics! Pity I have to be my own H&S inspector.
It seems this problem is not unknown then.

On closer inspecetion the new replacements have some differences to the originals. The mouldings are slightly different. The CAT III labelling differs. The new ones carry US patent numbers while the old ones had none.

I have heard people call out fake for less! I don't suppose they are but I wonder if the ones that are bundled in with DVMs are some "cost down" version which have been pared to the bone on everything?

I doubt it's possible to repair them but I still hope to try.

The prods will not unscrew. I added torque which I judged to be just short of the twist + shearing point. Thinking about the next move.
Old 9th Jun 2022, 8:01 pm   #5
The Philpott
Dekatron

-You might have to apply unreasonable force in the name of reverse engineering!

(Goes to show you never can tell- my Micronta/Tandy leads are some of the best i have, must be 32yrs old now- all four terminations re-made as a precaution)

Dave
Old 9th Jun 2022, 9:28 pm   #6
Jon_G4MDC
Nonode

I might!

I'm also thinking about a possible port mortem move. Slit them longitudinally from end to end to open them up for inspection.
Closed Thread