UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Jun 2018, 8:51 pm   #1
poppydog
Banned

Default Nordmende Transita de luxe

Would anyone be able to tell me the correct length of the tuner cord on my Nordmende Transista de luxe UML DO30 3/603 please as mine has rotted.
regards poppydog
Old 28th Jun 2018, 9:56 am   #2
ronbryan
Octode

Default Re: Nordmende Transista de luxe

Surely "Transita de Luxe D030 3/603".

The diameter of the cord is usually the significant criterion for transistor sets, rather than the length, which is cut as required after tying off. Too thick a cord will cause piling up and other difficulties.

Ron
Old 28th Jun 2018, 1:29 pm   #3
poppydog
Banned

Default Re: Nordmende Transista de luxe

Sorry Ron, it is annoying, "Transita".
https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/nordme...xe_l_3603.html

I have got cord the same diameter however somebody else has had a go and there are joins and bits added. I thought I would ask if anyone knew what the correct length was as this might make the job a little easier. I know on some of my grundigs the length is very important, the diagram on radio museum sheet isn't exactly helpful.
regards poppydog
Old 28th Jun 2018, 1:48 pm   #4
Station X

Default Re: Nordmende Transita de luxe

Thread title updated.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 28th Jun 2018, 2:21 pm   #5
Tractionist
Heptode

Hmmmm .....

Quite a complex routing from recollection - I did mine a few months ago, but don't recall the length used.

As others have mentioned - I wouldn't worry about the length i.e. once you have threaded it on to the tension springs and tied it off. One point tho': If your existing cord is intact - use it to draw the new cord through the 'route' [this will save you a lot of threading and fiddling within this quite congested chassis].

Good luck - these are great sets
Old 28th Jun 2018, 8:21 pm   #6
MotorBikeLes
Nonode

I almost certainly have the manual. I will check it out when I get chance.
Les.
Old 30th Jun 2018, 11:52 am   #7
poppydog
Banned

I had already tied the new to what was left of the old and drew it through Tractionist, as I knew that removing that tuner board and the switch bank is probably not for the faint hearted, although I did contemplate it. Too hot for radios down here anyway.

Regards, poppydog.
Old 1st Jul 2018, 7:44 am   #8
Tractionist
Heptode

Hi Poppy - I've just checked the service info' for you .... and altho' the routing is depicted .............. the cord length is not. (Remiss of our German colleagues eh?).

I do recall that it is very fiddly - but well worth it .... I use this set a lot. (It's important to get it as near as you can because FM is quite congested on the limited amount of linear travel afforded by these sets i.e. a minimal amount of thumb-wheel adjustment will lose a station and/or reward you with another.)

Whilst you're in there - give the on/off vol pot a squirt ..... it was a major weakness on this series and the clippers/mambos etc. etc. (A drop of fine oil on the tuning cap bearings is a good idea too - these are prone to seizure ..... ).
Old 2nd Jul 2018, 10:16 pm   #9
poppydog
Banned

I could do with a picture of the tuning cord correctly routed if anyone has got one of these open at the moment, as we are having issues with, no matter how tight we have the cord, its slipping and trying to unravel even though I think it is correctly routed. As stated previously I have the same diameter cord as the original.

Regards
Poppydog
Old 3rd Jul 2018, 10:06 am   #10
Tractionist
Heptode

Do you have the service info? Also .... are you certain that the tuning caps aren't seized - a frequent malady ..... which nearly always results in a broken cord. PM me if you need the service info.
Old 19th Jul 2018, 9:46 pm   #11
poppydog
Banned

This one is all sorted now. A huge thanks to Tractionist who sent me his service info then removed the chassis from his own radio (even though I asked him not to), photographed it and sent pics and also sent me hand written drawings and instructions. A true gent, not many of them left now.

Regards Poppydog
Old 19th Jul 2018, 11:24 pm   #12
Tractionist
Heptode

You're very welcome mate. This is a wonderful forum - full of wonderful people who are generous with their time and accumulated knowledge. Many people have shown me great generosity: Dave 'Berec', Neil 'the back man', Chris who recently sold me a scope ..... it's a long list.

We're here to help one another ........