UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Aug 2017, 3:27 pm   #1
John Earland
Hexode

Smile Bush DAC90 Restoration help required

Hi, hope someone can help. I have a lovely DAC 90A Bush Radio which works ok to a degree on MW but nothing on LW. I've taken it apart to clean the inside and I can see that at least one capacitor is missing so I am amazed anything is working. I've looked through countless threads and YouTube videos which have been really helpful but I am still struggling. I guess what I am asking for is someone to help me with it - ideally explaining the different parts to me! I am completely new to this but love the idea of restoring it myself.

In an ideal World I'm looking for a kind patient person living close to Teesside who is able to offer some advice and guidance and don't mind me dropping by now and again to check my progress! Alternatively any help via this forum is greatly received - I just don't know where to start.

Hope someone can help. Best wishes, John
Old 4th Aug 2017, 4:12 pm   #2
bobskie
Hexode

Default Re: Bush DAC90 Restoration help required

Have a read through this website, it's what I used to start a few months ago. The forum will be very helpful also. I'm sure you will enjoy it! Good luck,

Cameron
Old 4th Aug 2017, 4:25 pm   #3
John Earland
Hexode

Thank you Cameron - I will check it out. BW, John
Old 4th Aug 2017, 8:19 pm   #4
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi John, if the missing cap is the mains suppression cap, it often blows up and the set will work without it. It should only be replaced with a class X cap.

Not sure if I'm close enough at Newcastle for you. I'm south of the Tyne, about 10 mins from the Metro centre.

Ed
Old 4th Aug 2017, 9:13 pm   #5
paulsherwin

You don't need to worry about the mains suppression cap. Just replace it with an X2 cap the next time you're working on it.

The commonest cause of a silent waveband by far is dirty or oxidised contacts on the wavechange switch. Get hold of some Servisol switch cleaner or an equivalent (not ordinary WD40), squirt some into the contacts, and operate the switch vigorously maybe 10 times. Maplins sell Servisol.

Have any of the capacitors been changed? If the mains suppression cap has been removed that suggests that somebody has had a go at repairing it in the past.
Old 4th Aug 2017, 10:49 pm   #6
John Earland
Hexode

Thank you all so much for your help. I will certainly try spraying the contacts - LW is completely silent but there are quite a few stations I can get on MW. The capacitor has been taken out deliberately - wires have been cut. As far as I am aware none of the other capacitors have been changed. It was incredibly dusty and dirty inside - although it must have been opened in the past for someone to remove the capacitor.

All five valves glow - albeit weakly-so I guess that's good news! I've seen how much these are on the internet!

The two little light bulb sockets are heavily corroded and I can't detect any current through them.

I would certainly be prepared the travel to Newcastle Ed - I work in Peterlee - so not really a long way from there. I am away until the end of August now but I would certainly appreciate dropping by at your convenience for some advice!

Thanks again for all your help everyone.

Best wishes,
John
Old 5th Aug 2017, 8:21 pm   #7
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi John, LW is not always well received in the NE, but the DAC90/90a, with their disc aerials should pick them up. They are however directional so try turning the set for best response.
Dirty contacts and computer generated "hash" are other causes of poor LW response.

Ed
Old 11th Aug 2017, 7:51 pm   #8
John Earland
Hexode

Thanks Ed,
I'm on hols at the moment but I will contact you if I may when I get back.
Many thanks indeed.
Best wishes,
John
Closed Thread