UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Mar 2013, 4:02 pm   #161
telstar
Octode

Default Re: Bygone radio traders

Hi Pichaker. Yes it was the one on the left as you went up the A12 towards the swing bridge. Last time I was there, it had closed - what a shame.
Cheers
Mike
Old 27th Mar 2013, 8:43 am   #162
pichacker
Hexode

Happens to all the best shops,

Pattrick Bros, Cosmic, & Arrow Electronics in Brentwood.
English's in Hutton,
Bi Pre Pak, and the proper Maplins, can't remember the name of the other surplus store in Westcliff.

RCS, Bull, RTVC.... The list goes on.
Old 28th Mar 2013, 2:13 pm   #163
jamesperrett
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by pichacker View Post
Arrow Electronics in Brentwood.
Haven't they grown up into a big distributor now or is that a different company?
Old 28th Mar 2013, 2:15 pm   #164
pichacker
Hexode

Also add Ambitt in Gresham Road before they moved to the other side of town and imploded.....

Arrow Electronics became Arrow Radio in Hatfield Peverell and then ........ "Frankie Say no More!"
Old 28th Mar 2013, 2:54 pm   #165
KeithsTV
Nonode

Weren't Arrow Electronics originally LST components? I used to order from them back in the 60's

Keith
Old 28th Mar 2013, 3:08 pm   #166
pichacker
Hexode

Something like G3LST and I believe you are correct....
Old 7th May 2013, 5:06 pm   #167
telstar
Octode

Quote:
Telstar, I remember the shop I think from a visit to Pakefield I made in the mid 80's. Was it the one on the left as you were travelling towards the bridge and was on a corner with lots of stff in the window?
Hi. I managed to find out from a forum about Lowestoft that the shop did not have a name, it was just known as the electronics shop.
Cheers
Mike
Old 7th May 2013, 6:40 pm   #168
pichacker
Hexode

Cheers Mike.
Old 8th May 2013, 12:02 pm   #169
Nicklyons2
Octode

What happened to Jermyn components in the Manchester area? - early 1970s their catalogue was bigger than RS.
Old 8th May 2013, 12:12 pm   #170
QQVO6/40
Hexode

One for the New South Wales based Aussies.
Remember "Radio Dispatch Services" situated in George Street at Ultimo, just near Central Railway Station.
Very much a "Tradies" parts supply place. Many memories of buying my supplies there. I lived in a country area and had to make sure all of my purchase list was correct and I hadn't forgotten anything. Such a long way back to pick up some small forgotten item.
Such memories.
Cheers. Robert.
Old 8th May 2013, 12:45 pm   #171
camtechman
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horris View Post
Anyone remember Frank Mozer in Edmonton and Crescent Radio in Mayes Rd Wood Green ?
Jobstocks in Walthamstow brings back great memories.I bought a R1155 from them and took it home to Tottenham on the bus.
Sure do.

Frank Mozer was where my late Father used to go for his parts (dragging me along as a snotty nosed kid). From that I caught the bug and ended up working there myself in the late 1960's till 1977 - when I left to work for the magazine: ETI (Electronics Today International).

Frank was well known locally and, on Saturdays, customers cued outside his shop into the street as it was so busy.

Frank would have been more well known had he offered Mail Order but he thought that was: "the work of the devil" !
Old 8th May 2013, 2:46 pm   #172
telstar
Octode

Quote:
Cheers Mike.
Hi. Apparently, the former owner died a while back. Don't know what the shop consists of today?
Cheers
Mike
Old 8th May 2013, 3:13 pm   #173
pichacker
Hexode

Patrick Bro's in Ongar Road Brentwood, Many a Saturday sifting through the surplus outside and in the narrow doorway.

Equally crowded inside as well

An Alladins cave.
Old 11th May 2013, 4:00 pm   #174
boxdoctor
Rest in Peace

On my occasional trips to Nottingham in the 1970's, I used to sometimes visit a seedy shop at the top of North Sherwood St with no sign above it,where lots of surplus and ex-industrial electronic gear was on sale. I bought some boards from there once with a total of more than 300 red leds on them for £2-50p in about 1972. Quite a bargain then.
I seem to recall the rotund owner was known as "Douggie".
Also there was a shop at nearby Eastwood run by Noel and (?)Phil, where I bought an immaculate GEC BRT400 receiver for £40, and my ever-useful 'TEC' Dip-Meter. Does anybody else recall these long gone shops?

Last edited by boxdoctor; 11th May 2013 at 4:06 pm.
Old 22nd May 2013, 11:13 am   #175
ENGLISH VICTOR
Hexode

Dukes of Romford Road Manor Park to me was rather like The Vatican is to the Pope, the holy of holies. The prices were good if one was selective and bargaining was the order of the day. I refer to the late 1950s and 60s.
Victor.
Old 22nd May 2013, 10:59 pm   #176
emeritus
Dekatron

I also used to get stuff from Dukes at that time: a veritable Aladdin's cave. They were still going strong in the early 1970's There was another electrical shop further along the Romford Road going towards Stratford (just past the Princess Alice at Forest Gate) that had a large range of audio connectors on display inside, and racks of government surplus electrical stuff outside. I can't remember the name but I did once take my EL3585 portable tape recorder there for a service.
Old 22nd May 2013, 11:13 pm   #177
Alistair D
Nonode

Edinburgh in the 1960s had two excellent radio shops. There was Browns on George IV bridge and Millars wireless at the top of Leith street. Browns always had an excellent stock of new and old components. Millars stocked almost anything including WW2 surplus. For a young lad of 15 or so it was like electronic heaven.

Edit: Just found this site.

http://www.edinphoto.org.uk/1_edin/1...s_wireless.htm

Al

Last edited by Alistair D; 22nd May 2013 at 11:17 pm. Reason: Added internet site.
Old 23rd May 2013, 10:57 am   #178
john116
Pentode

Another one for the Aussies in Sydney/New South Wales. Remember Waltham Dan, 96 Oxford Street. I went there in 1987 for a valve for a Kriesler Radio.

Tiny store, radios everywhere, and floor to ceiling shelves full of valves. I think I paid $9.00 for the one I wanted. I was 16 at the time.

It closed a year or so later, I'm guessing the owner passed away (he looked like he was 90 in the shade).

Always wondered what happened to all the valves and radios.

Also - I do remember Radio Despatch Service. I went there as a kid too. They used to advertise for years (as did Waltham Dan) in "Radio, Television and Hobbies", and then when it changed name, Electronics Australia.
Old 23rd May 2013, 2:17 pm   #179
QQVO6/40
Hexode

Ahhhhh John116. Those were the days of fun. "Deitch Brothers" store. The younger one was "Abe". Quite a nice man but still a business man. Can't remember his older brother's name. And then there is the slim frail old fellow who had a diposals store in the old Waltons store. I bought a bit of kit from him too. All of these diposals stores were along Oxford street in Sydney. Good times.

Cheers. Robert.
Old 14th Oct 2013, 3:17 pm   #180
AC/HL
Dekatron

One post moved here: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=100250
Closed Thread