UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd May 2020, 9:04 pm   #1
Station X

Default Free copy of RSGB Radcom to read online.

https://rsgb.org/main/blog/news/gb2r...ateurs-online/

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 3rd May 2020, 9:45 am   #2
Aub
Nonode

Default Re: Free copy of RSGB Radcom to read online.

Thanks for that.

Yes, its actually got some reasonably good stuff in it. I stopped being a member, in part, when the magazine became too full of articles and technologies that I have no interest in. If it was like this most of the time, I might consider re-joining.

Cheers

Aub
Old 3rd May 2020, 10:29 am   #3
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

I enjoyed the article about 'Knickebein', the radio navigation system employed by the Germans during the early part of the war - although it was largely familiar to me from 'Most Secret War' by R. V. Jones, who is mentioned in the article. I'm always very interested in anything I can read about the 'Wizard War', as Churchill termed it.

Much of the rest I found, to be honest, quite dry. I found myself drifting to the adverts to see what the current state of play is, as I have not made any serious amateur equipment purchases for about two decades.

However, I appreciated the opportunity to read it.
Old 3rd May 2020, 10:35 am   #4
electronicskip
Nonode

Taking a look at it now.
All very welcome in these times.
Ive been reading allsorts of old electronics mags online and its been like revisiting old friends!
Old 3rd May 2020, 6:40 pm   #5
Scimitar
Heptode

It was quite interesting to look at one after so many years, but found myself getting more and more irritated by the idea that insect anatomy is what is used to transmit and receive RF. They will no doubt be suggesting that they are "more unique" next.
Old 4th May 2020, 3:34 pm   #6
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Radcom is perhaps different as it has the history of the whole Radio movement behind it "Amateur" or not. In a lesser way, the excellent RSGB Bulletin represents Wireless Restoration. It's often been hard to maintain the right written tone in both of these areas at times. In the post war decades Wireless World and PW/PTV [with others] struck some kind of balance between theory and practise. More recently publishing has been a struggle for a number of organisations and many reasons! There is nothing to lose with this sort of generous gesture but it's possibly a bit late. Many mags have offered a free go for years!

On the positive side, there does seem to be some sort of general revival in practical skills and interests these days. As the modern world becomes a much more "dry" homogenised/digitised environment, it may be that a revival of interest in communications that can't be switched off at the server will take place but who knows in the end as recent events have more than demonstrated.

I did note an advert for a company that makes what seem to be very professional noise reduction units. They are in Bucks now but originated on an Industrial Estate here in Bexhill. I recall once buying a copy of PW in Victoria Station and being surprised to spot their advertisement while travelling south.

Dave W

Last edited by dave walsh; 4th May 2020 at 3:48 pm.
Closed Thread