UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Nov 2015, 6:03 pm   #1
mollymasm
Retired Dormant Member

Question Ferguson Radiogram repair

Just to begin with, I know absolutely nothing about radiograms etc.

The house I've moved in to has an old radiogram - it says its the model 322A - but when I google this, nothing comes up. What does come up is the 322RG model, which looks exactly the same?

I think it just needs a new fuse, but I'm so hopeless I don't even know which to get.

Pictures attached, would be great if someone could advise me on how to get it going again!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0915.JPG
Views:	264
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	116222   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0916.JPG
Views:	211
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	116223   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0932.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	116224   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0934.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	116225   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0938.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	116226  

Old 29th Nov 2015, 6:39 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Ferguson Radiogram repair

If this is completely unrestored, it is very unlikely to simply need a new fuse. What makes you think that?

The record deck isn't original and probably dates from the early 70s, so the radiogram may have been restored at that time. It certainly looks in good cosmetic condition internally.
Old 29th Nov 2015, 6:48 pm   #3
Herald1360
Dekatron

It's a valve set so unless it's known to have been in regular use recently it is not a good idea to just plug it in and try it. There will a few inexpensive parts that need to be replaced to prevent more expensive problems.This will mean removing the chassis and doing some soldering.

Also, it has been got at- not necessarily a bad thing if you're thinking of playing records- it has a much newer turntable fitted than the original. Of course even that may need a service to get rid of old hard grease and relubricate it.

Do have a look around in here for similar stories- there are plenty to choose from!
.........O..Chris....O
Old 29th Nov 2015, 9:32 pm   #4
TonyDuell
Dekatron

I suspect you are unlikely to do the repairs yourself, but...

I have just looked up the Trader Sheet (the service information, circuit diagram, etc) for this set. It appears that the 322RG uses the same chassis (metal bit with all the electronic parts as the 321A radio, but with a different tuning scale and of course a larger cabinet to contain the turntable. The chassis layout in the trader sheet certainly matches the 4th photograph you show, so it is very likely this is the same set.

It appears that at this time Fergusson used suffix letters : 'A' = a radio set for AC mains, 'U' = a radio set for either AC or DC mains ('Universal') and 'RG' = a Radiogram. This might be where the confusion comes from.

There is no fuse shown in the trader sheet. One might have been added later, as said in other posts some of the wiring is not original. The output transformer (the thing in the middle of the chassis with 6 solder tags on top) may not be original either, but that is not likely to cause any problems.

The 5 glass valves, for several reasons, are evacuated of air and sealed. As a result, if the glass breaks, or even cracks, they are ruined. Now 4 of the 5 valves in this set are what we call 'Rimlock' types. Due to the design of the valve and holder it is very easy to crack them taking them out or putting them in. I would advise you not to do this without asking first.

Why do you think it needs a fuse?

Finally I will agree with what others have said. Do not just plug in a set like this. You could do a lot of damage to it that could be prevented by checking and replacing some inexpensive components first. There are plenty of people here who can advise you on what to do if you think you can manage it yourself, or who might be prepared to do the work if not.
Closed Thread