UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Oct 2015, 8:49 pm   #1
paperboy
Tetrode

Default Era of swing (Playing internet radio station through vintage radio).

Hi Everyone, I hope this is the right section. I'm just listening to Internet radio, Ted Lewis, On the Sunny Side of the Street and wondering how I could get it to play through my 1930s Ultra 66 console model, AC model, Ultrascope moving coil speaker. Transmitters I've seen online but I'm not sure how I'd bring it together... All ideas welcome. Cheers, Paperboy.
Old 7th Oct 2015, 9:02 pm   #2
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Default Re: Era of swing (Playing internet radio station through vintage radio).

Hi Simplest way is to feed it into the gram sockets of the radio if it has them; take care that you do not setup an earth loop (hum) and forget it if your Ultra has a non-earthed chassis.
Plenty of pantry transmitter designs about so you could also build your own, see the homebuild section on this forum.

Ed
Old 7th Oct 2015, 9:06 pm   #3
PaulR
Dekatron

Default Re: Era of swing

You can use a low power "pantry" medium wave transmitter. They are strictly illegal in the UK, but I am not sure what the position is un New Zealand. I have the one made by SSTran which is reviewed here http://www.vintage-radio.com/reviews/amt3000.html. You could connect it to a headphone socket or other output on your internet radio. You simply then tune the radio into it.

They come as a kit, but they are quite easy to build if you have a little soldering skill and perform very well.
Old 7th Oct 2015, 9:10 pm   #4
Station X

Default Re: Era of swing (Playing internet radio station through vintage radio).

Just checked the service sheet. The AC model has a mains transformer, but no pick up/gram socket. A further complication is that this is a TRF receiver and the "volume control" is in the RF stages. I'm not sure how well this would work with a micro transmitter.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 7th Oct 2015, 9:11 pm   #5
paperboy
Tetrode

Thanks Ed, I'll have a look. There is a port for an earth to be plugged, so originally it looks like it has a non-earthed chassis. Though I'm not sure if it has been modified. It came with 3-pin and modern retro wiring.
Old 7th Oct 2015, 9:14 pm   #6
paperboy
Tetrode

Well, stepping off the beaten track Graham, there's plenty room for a discrete 5 inch speaker in the back which would save the modifying I'm keen to avoid if possible. Cheers.
Old 7th Oct 2015, 9:34 pm   #7
vic0239
Tetrode

Default Re: Era of swing

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulR View Post
They come as a kit, but they are quite easy to build if you have a little soldering skill and perform very well.
I built one of these and had zero soldering experience beforehand, but fortunately they come with excellent instructions. Worked first time, I was totally flabbergasted! I feed it from an Apple Airport Express, using Airplay I can stream via Wi-Fi any source from my Mac, iPad or iPhone to all my MW radios.
Old 8th Oct 2015, 8:47 pm   #8
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Paperboy, as it is earthed it opens up a number of possibilities, including a small solid state amp run from a wall wart and feeding the speaker in the set directly.
Pm me if yiu want to discuss further.

Ed
Old 21st Nov 2015, 9:58 pm   #9
paperboy
Tetrode

Greetings all, I now have a working prototype internet radio and would like to update this thread. Can I add a short video clip and how do I do it please - size of file etc. Best wishes.
Old 21st Nov 2015, 10:31 pm   #10
frankmcvey
Rest in Peace

Hi, PB,

Probably best to post your video on YouTube then make a post in this thread with the link. Well done!

Cheers,

Frank
Old 21st Nov 2015, 11:13 pm   #11
paperboy
Tetrode

Thanks, I'll check that out .
Old 22nd Nov 2015, 8:29 am   #12
mickyfinn
Hexode

Looking forward to this.
Mick
Old 24th Nov 2015, 7:59 pm   #13
paperboy
Tetrode

Hi all, The rudimentary internet hookup: firstly everything in this Ultra 66 conversion is temporary and reversible. It makes available the age of swing through a nice period cabinet - otherwise it would sit mute for some considerable time while on the to-do list. There is a bit of work to do to get the chassis up and working properly and as noted earlier it's TRF so not (for me at least) an easy tap-in. The solid state amplifier is a Maplin kit complete with a 4X1.5v battery power pack which I've used. Its size is shown relative to a 50p coin. It is a headphone amplifier kit sending 0.5 of a watt per channel to two 50mm speakers. It is connected to an iPad via a 3.5mm audio cable (4m long and about £2 from ebay.) The video doesn't reveal the volume possible just by raising it on the ipad controls (I wouldn't like to put my ears between it.) I've since found a Chinese-made amp on ebay which is a logical extension teamed up with a wall-wart to power it. There's some good internet period channels to use with it. The Maplin amp was about £13. I have a Murphy console set on the bench now which when recapped I may tap into to get the warm valve feel output from the internet. My love is valve radio and this has been a fun experiment to utilise a nice console radio. Thanks to all for help particularly Ed. If this link doesn't work try Ultra 1935 radio plays internet. (A thread over its age will follow as will photographs.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlwE00fG4uQ
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ultra 66 console1.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	116020   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ultra66netA.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	116021   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ultra66net1A.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	116022  
Old 24th Nov 2015, 9:19 pm   #14
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

That's a lovely set. The table versions seem common enough, but very few of the consoles seem to have survived, especially in the condition yours appears to be in.

N.
Old 24th Nov 2015, 10:44 pm   #15
bikerhifinut
Octode

Nice Looking thing Ron.
I can see why you wouldn't want to interfere with its circuits.

Andy.
Old 25th Nov 2015, 10:14 am   #16
hansomcommon
Pentode

I have found that the Pantry transmitters work superbly with TRF sets, even ,when set up carefully with sets that use anode bend detection. You can exploit the wider bandwidth possible with a good leaky grid detector and hear almost Hi Fi. I think this is the best way to keep early sets running as they were designed so to do.
Closed Thread