UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 8th Jan 2009, 11:13 pm   #1
yestertech
Nonode

Default Philips B3G63A

This set has been on the scrap pile a few times, but was always sidelined during the sort out. It was part of a job lot of radios which, shall we say had seen better days...
Like all the others, it was very grubby, but one day with 5 mins to spare as I waited for the soldering Iron to warm-up, I wiped over the grimy top with a wet cloth and realised it may be one of those "dirt preserved" radios which I like to find from time to time !
Sure enough, having rubbed some Bakobrite into the top, I was rewarded with a fine looking sheen.
Back it went to the ROUNTUIT PILE - I finally got around to dismantling and cleaning the rest of it the other day. Boy was it GRUBBY
Thankfully it all polished up a treat as you can see, and I burnt off a few Xmas excesses I can tell you, polishing all the tarnish from the Brass.
I recalled it was working when I first checked it, but having removed the chassis I realised I nicked the EL84 for another set. Having replaced this, it was playing but there was clealry something amiss with the tuning, as it stuck with a slight twanging noise if I moved either the FM or AM tuning knobs

With the glass and diffuser removed ( holds breath - I always fear the dial will break being squeezed over those "grommets" !) the problem was found - The FM tuning drive had been forced beyond the lowest scale marking, and the cord for this plus its mid cord tension spring was now wrapped around the section of the tuning drive reserved for the AM drive.
Luckily nothing was broken and it was removed and restrung as per the Philips manual.
After a quick squirt of DEOXIT on the switch bank, everything tested fine.

I don't think I've ever had a valve set which required so few component changes - NONE !
I doubt anyone had ever been inside either, as all the rear cover screws were present ( and tight ! ) and I could see no obvious component replacements
Both FM and AM were loud and clear and there was no trace of DC on the EL84 grid...
All voltages seemed OK and the soak test was fine after several hours. RESULT

I'll keep this beauty for the time being, as at least it has FM and is quite small into the bargain. Sadly I cannot locate the before pic of this set !

Andy

PS must apolgise for the state of the woodwork, the dog has taken to sitting in the windowsill !!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B3G63A.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	182.4 KB
ID:	22339  
Old 8th Jan 2009, 11:31 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Philips B3G63A

Very nice, Andy.

It would have certainly been a shame to scrap it

Look forward to seeing the before pic, if you find it.

Nick.
Old 8th Jan 2009, 11:34 pm   #3
Steve_P
Dekatron

It proves the theory that old parts don't necessarily have to be changed en masse.

Well done, what else have you got gathering dust I wonder...

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 8th Jan 2009, 11:42 pm   #4
yestertech
Nonode

Thanks folks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_P View Post
what else have you got gathering dust I wonder...

Cheers,

Steve P.

You don't want to know !! Actually not that much - I tend to be rather ruthless
Keeps me sane
I happened across the before picture as luck would have it, looking for something else !!
You can just see the wiped cloth effect on the RHS top
Andy

PS The other pic is the remains of a VHF2D which didn't make the grade - Like many others before it, it does make useful ( ??) scrap !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B3G63A pre.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	159.6 KB
ID:	22340   Click image for larger version

Name:	VHF2d alas.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	184.6 KB
ID:	22341  
Old 9th Jan 2009, 12:22 pm   #5
howard
Nonode

Well done Andy,

Glad you went ahead and restored this set. I'm very fond of these Philips B3G63A AM/FM sets and the Stella ST236A clones, I've got four of them here and they're very easy to restore and IMHO work better than the contemporary Bush sets (glad to say my PYE VHF2D came out rather better than yours !)

Howard
Old 9th Jan 2009, 3:35 pm   #6
johnn
Retired Dormant Member

Looks good Andy.
My B3G63A was out during Christmas. They don't seem to need that much work!
I like the 353A too, but that's away with a young disabled man who likes valve radios & Dansette record players.
John.
Old 9th Jan 2009, 3:46 pm   #7
Tim
Dekatron

Nice job Andy! My one of these only needed a main smoother change, all the Philips b;ack capacitors were fine. Think yourself lucky it didn't require re-stringing! Good sounders and performers when the EF85 and 80's are in good condition.