UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Apr 2019, 1:17 pm   #1
CesarLG
Tetrode

Default Hallicrafters Skyfone CA-2 Air radio

I have found this aeronautical transceiver with some missing parts and problems. The radio cord is misplaced, no vibrator, and a connector missing.
I think I will try to build a solid state vibrator. I don't know if this is the type of radio that has the 12V on the ground. By its on/off switch that is what it seems
It is the asynchronous type with 6 pins.
Also I am having some questions about the power wiring. There are 6 wires coming from this circular waffle...

here it is the schematic. I have located pin 2 by its connection to the 75ohm resistor but the rest are difficut to me.

http://www.nostalgiaair.org/Resource...=\M0008838.pdf

What do you think guys?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0717.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	181283   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0721.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	181284   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0725.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	181285   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0729.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	181286  
Old 13th Apr 2019, 5:42 pm   #2
G3VKM_Roger
Heptode

Default Re: Hallicrafters Skyfone CA-2 Air radio

Hi OM,

I have downloaded the Riders schematic and I think that the +12 goes to the centre pin 6 and the ground to pin 1. Pin 2 is microphone AF, pin 3 is the PTT line, pin 4 external loudspeaker, pin 5 headphone output.

Here in the UK the WS-19 group produce a range of different solid-state vibrators, https://www.royalsignals.org.uk/vibs/ If you contact them it would be a good idea to send them a copy of the schematic. They supply kits or ready-built vibrators.

Roger/G3VKM
Old 13th Apr 2019, 6:18 pm   #3
CesarLG
Tetrode

Quote:
I have downloaded the Riders schematic and I think that the +12 goes to the centre pin 6 and the ground to pin 1. Pin 2 is microphone AF, pin 3 is the PTT line, pin 4 external loudspeaker, pin 5 headphone output.
Thank you very much! The problema I face is that I don't have the connector or any number reference on the radio. I have this round piece with several connections and one side goes to the radio and the other side goes to the connector wires (no connector) so... this is my big problem.

Thank you for the Solid state advice
Old 13th Apr 2019, 8:52 pm   #4
G3VKM_Roger
Heptode

Yes, I see the problem. Even if you could find the correct plug and socket you would still need to know the identification of the wires. I think you need a wiring diagram but I guess that is hard to find.

The Riders Notes show the plug as part number 6A282 and the socket as 10A241, these will be Hallicrafters numbers and probably not helpful. Do you have the notes? I have them on PDF and the size is 330kB so easy to send.

Roger/G3VKM
Closed Thread