UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Jun 2019, 8:55 pm   #1
ViperSan
Tetrode

Default My Breadbin collection.

So looks like I miscalculated..
I have 5 x C64s in fact ..and 3 VIC20s..
plus a VIC20 board I'm restoring as shown in previous thread..
Sadly this one is missing a keyboard.
I also have my Black C64 ..which is actually a hybrid.
It has a C64C keyboard ..a C64 top half of the breadbin ..and a VIC 20 breadbin bottom..
..and the actual mainboard is a C64 Re-loaded by individual computers..so not strictly speaking a retro machine
One of my VICs the one I wrote games on back in the day..is mounted in an ARFON expansion unit.
Above it is one of my Plus 4s ..the other can be seen with the only C16 I own.
All of these computers with the exception of one C64 and the VIC20 in the arfon ..were built from damaged units and spare parts ..and all are now fully functional.
Get the impression I love my Commodores ??...particularly breadbins..
rgds
VS
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0007.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	185675   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0008.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	185676   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0009.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	185677   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0010.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	185678   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0011.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	185679  

Old 25th Jun 2019, 10:27 pm   #2
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Default Re: My Breadbin collection.

The thing I really loved about the '64 was the sound, especially the use to which game musicians, particularly Rob Hubbard, put it.

Its SID chip was a true synth, miles ahead of the basic three-note tone + envelope generators used in the BBC B, Amstrad CPC, Spectrum 128 and even the Atari ST. While demo programmers on those machines have since done very impressive work to make those basic ICs sound like a SID, the Commodore chip is the original and the best. People are still using SID chips to make music today.

I'm given to understand that the '64 isn't really a programmer's machine though - I never owned one, just used to have a friend who did, so I never had time to sit down and really try to do anything with one.
Old 25th Jun 2019, 10:36 pm   #3
ViperSan
Tetrode

Indeed the 6581 original SID is still much sought after ..rare ..and expensive even second hand.
The later revision 8580 just didn't sound right to me..but can be used at a pinch to restore sound to a 64.
All is not lost though as SWINSID the modern adaption although not as good is acceptable and readily available.
Swinsid has come a long way..and getting better with each revision.
Programming on the 64 like the VIC requires a monitor..for machine code.
Though both had a limited version of Basic (written by microsoft would your believe ?)
rgds
VS
Old 25th Jun 2019, 10:41 pm   #4
Timbucus
Octode

I enjoyed programming the C64 as it had a bit of complexity with the hardware support for sound and graphics and was probably the first machine I saw banking (between ROM and RAM) on. I of course had a cartridge with the debugger on!

This was also the only machine we ever had recourse to use a scope to debug software on - it seems that 1 in 4 or so VIC chips has some different timing which caused problems with The Illustrator - I can't remember if it was where the display was split wasn't right (likely) or the 'rubber band' line going invisible. On the three we had in the office we never saw it, people started reporting it so we went out and bought another one and the effect appeared! I now again have a reasonably good condition one and a "day to day" one on which the SID sadly has a dead channel! I was lucky to get a SD2IEC and a fast loader cartridge which work really well alongside the otherwise very slow 1541 disk drive!

https://www.thefuturewas8bit.com/tag.../list/tagId/5/
Old 25th Jun 2019, 11:22 pm   #5
Richard_FM
Octode

I had a CBM128 that was a hand me down from my Aunt & Uncle.

During that time I had to replace the SID twice, luckily I managed to source replacements each time, the last from a later CBM64 which I bought with a job lot of Commodore stuff.

My parents made me get rid of it when my room was being redecorated, & it fetched a decent price online.
Old 25th Jun 2019, 11:34 pm   #6
McMurdo
Dekatron

I had a breadbin C64 when at school, it eventually died and got left in a cupboard, moved out with me and lived in my wardrobe here for 23 years. This spring I decided to 'have a go' at fixing it given the wealth of repair info now available online, something I didnt have when it first went wrong, and I'm no computer expert.

It took a few IC's to get it working, including the Kernal and BASIC roms, the PLA and most of the factory-fitted IC sockets which had failed.

It now works like new, and not a single capacitor changed! The memories it's bringing back

PS I once got chased out of woolworths for writing a program on their VIC20 that said 'Buy Your Computers At Woolworths'. The staff were so used to seing rude messages typed on the screens that they hadn't bothered to read what I'd done.
Old 25th Jun 2019, 11:41 pm   #7
ViperSan
Tetrode

Hi Kevin ..
The main reason for chip failure was that nasty brick psu which at best was crudely regulated..
The big capacitor inside undergoes ESR changes ..the regulator device is also suspect .
Th result is that the supply lines suffer high levels of ripple and sometimes voltage creep.
If left on a few hours ..those precious chips fail ..PLA and SID are particularly in the firing line..
along with SRAM chips.
If I wanted to preserve a C64s functionality..then I would take time to chage all the electrolytic caps ..and get one of BWACKS C64 saver devices...as these will protect the C64.
..or better still ..get a modern PSU as I have ..
These have overvolts and overload protection built in.
rgds
VS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aug2MOIgfHk
Old 26th Jun 2019, 11:56 am   #8
arjoll
Dekatron

I've got a VIC20 here that came from my wife's family - it had a few broken keys on the keyboard, so I picked up a spare C64 one from a guy in Australia who had gutted a 64 for the SID....

It's yours for the price of shipping from NZ if you want it, but may not be worth it unless they are actually fixable.

The VIC20 is one of the few machines I've actually gotten around to writing up on my website: https://sord.co.nz/collection-commodore-vic20.html
Old 26th Jun 2019, 12:18 pm   #9
ViperSan
Tetrode

If it were local I'd immediately say yes..
but the cost of shipping from NZ would likely be excessive.
Such a shame ..as I probably could fix it.
rgds
VS
Old 26th Jun 2019, 2:52 pm   #10
electronicskip
Nonode

Same here Sam.
I love my Commodore computers/games machines along with most others of that era.
Ive got examples of VIC20 C16 C64 +4 plus accs.
Ive got over 200 examples of early home computers including Sinclair,Commodore.MSX Intellivision. Fairchild,Texas, Philips G7000S Colecovision, numerous Ataris of all ages, Dreamcasts Saturns , Nintendos Panasonic 3D0s the list goes on and one.
Old 26th Jun 2019, 3:19 pm   #11
ViperSan
Tetrode

If you wern't so far away ..and I was not so mobility impared with MS..plus other commitments.
You would certainly getting a visit from me.
Another real vintage computer and console enthusiast imo
Keep up the great work Eskip
Old 10th Jul 2019, 6:58 am   #12
electronicskip
Nonode

Well ive been collecting since I got my first ZX81 from WHSmith way back in the day , I also collect software/carts/ etc etc its totally taken over my loft over the years to the extent I can hardly get in it.
Closed Thread