UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Jun 2020, 3:36 pm   #1
Malcolm G6ANZ
Octode

Default 2N3819 pinout

Looking at a 2n3819 FET for a 90MHz preamp for my old Cossor. There is a difference of opinion on the internet about the pin out arrangement.
With the flat uppermost and the leads towards you, some give the arrangement ,reading left to right, as D,G,S and others give it as S,G,D.
The Fairchild data sheet gives the DSG arrangement so this is what I shall be using. Though why other sites give a different pinout I don't know.

Malcolm
Old 24th Jun 2020, 3:50 pm   #2
Humber888
Heptode

Default Re: 2N3819 pinout

IIRC the FET is pretty much symmetrical, so S and D are effectively the same. Have a look at this old thread: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?p=909109.
Old 24th Jun 2020, 4:08 pm   #3
Malcolm G6ANZ
Octode

That thread answers my question.
Thanks
Old 24th Jun 2020, 4:14 pm   #4
Radio Wrangler

There are some tricks with symmetrical FETs.

In SSB transceivers where filters and IF structures are operated in one direction for receive and the opposite direction for transmit, it's usual to have lots of switches reversing the inputs and outputs of amplifiers. With symmetrical FETs the positive feed for the drain can be swapped to the source, and the amplifier amplifies in the reverse direction.

Whoever thought of that one was a very smart cookie!

David