UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Mar 2014, 10:06 pm   #1
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Default Weyrad coil

Hi Folks, can anyone help identify some Weyrad coils I have?
These are all marked L207, some with the Weyrad logo as well. they are a 12mm square copper can about 18mm high and are small pot cores on a plastic former with a dust core.
they have a single winding, approx. 4mH and 44R.
base is 6 pin for PCB mounting, with one pair of pins slightly further away from the others for polarisation.

Thanks, Ed
Old 27th Mar 2014, 8:39 pm   #2
Biggles
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Weyrad coil

Hi Ed, they sound like possible TV types to me. I'm sure I heard that Weyrad made deflection yokes etc for the TV industry in later years but I may be wrong. 4mH would suggest quite a low working frequency though. They may resonate at Long wave frequencies with a suitable parallel capacitor...
Alan.
Old 27th Mar 2014, 8:43 pm   #3
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Alan, thanks for that. L207 does sound like a circuit ref on a PCB and I have got qiute a few of them, possibly left from a production run.

Ed
Old 27th Mar 2014, 8:55 pm   #4
Biggles
Rest in Peace

You'll now have to design a project to use them. That's what usually happens here. I find a nice component then work out a way of using it. L207 does sound like a pcb component reference, and the high? number may suggest quite a few components on the board. Just a thought, they're not pilot tone filter or stereo decoder coils are they?
Alan.
Old 27th Mar 2014, 10:36 pm   #5
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Hello,

It could be for a Decca colour TV, as Decca owned Weyrad in the 1970s (I believe). They certainly used Weyrad for the supply of a lot of coils, transformers and chokes used in their TV set production.

One would have to scan their TV service manuals for a full ID of your coil. A likely candidate would be their Bradford hybrid CTV chassis.

Posting a photo might help.

Regards,

Dazzlevision
Old 28th Mar 2014, 12:27 am   #6
MALC SCOTT
Octode

Hi Ed, L207 was the 7.8khz ident coil on the Rediffusion MK1 decoder board.
Old 28th Mar 2014, 9:21 pm   #7
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Malc, thanks for that, It was quite high inductance (4mH) and was wound inside a mini pot core so I was guessing it was quite low frequency.

Ed
Closed Thread