UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Jun 2020, 6:55 am   #1
jimscoper
Triode

Default WW2 use of low frequency transmitter

Been looking at German radio in early WW2 and I am a bit curious as to their use of transmitters and receivers in the 100KHz to 1.2MHz region. The Langwellen Sender 100/08 is an example.

Very well made etc but slap bang in the middle of broadcast bands when I would have expected them to use bands in the 4 to 9MHz region.

Why do this and did this actually work and did it die out early on or continue?
Old 6th Jun 2020, 12:25 pm   #2
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: WW2 use of low frequency transmitter

Navigational beacons work well in that part of the spectrum, using groundwave propagation. In fact quite a few are still there.

David
Old 6th Jun 2020, 1:56 pm   #3
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

What frequencies did U-boat communications use?

Andy
Old 6th Jun 2020, 2:17 pm   #4

HF, hence the Huff Duff direction finder https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-f...ection_finding

Old 17th Jun 2020, 7:05 am   #5
FrankB
Heptode

Most of the WW2 historical books I read mentioned the LF use of radio for U boat communications.
I know the U.S. uses- or did anyway- VLF for sub communications. You didn't need to surface to receive messages.
I -think- I read where some underseas beacons also use that frequency. Possibly for Tsunami warning system? or intruder detection).

The U.S. has a license free band on 180KC for experimentation and beacons. 1 watt max, and, IIRC, no more than 50' antenna, including lead in. ( See book: VLF Handbook for details, and a late '60s Popular Electronics had an article for a transmitter using a 12AX7 tube. Built one of those & it worked OK).
Old 17th Jun 2020, 11:55 am   #6
Restoration73
Nonode

I have also built the "Transmitter for the Neglected band" I used a EL84(6BQ5) in place
of the 6AQ5. My version has a vfo coverage of 130-570 kHz which permits use as LW
(and low MW) pantry transmitter, and also UK ham use on 136kHz and 475kHz bands.
There is an actual vintage transceiver in the link;
http://www.auroralchorus.com/pli/pli.htm
Old 17th Jun 2020, 9:29 pm   #7
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0FYA Andy View Post
What frequencies did U-boat communications use?
VLF after 1943, using the 'Goliath' system. 15kHz - 25kHz. Can't penetrate seawater with much else!

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 17th Jun 2020, 11:14 pm   #8
m0cemdave
Octode

You may have found this site already but if not, it may be helpful:

https://www.cdvandt.org/

including:

https://www.cdvandt.org/goliath.htm

There's a searchable index here (download the pdf and use control-F with key words to find which sections to look at):

https://www.cdvandt.org/subject_ref_dbase.htm

HTH
Old 18th Jun 2020, 6:59 am   #9
M0SOE_Bruce
Pentode

It wasn't just the Germans. The UK developed the wireless set 14 in 1940 for armoured vehicles. It tuned 290-410 KHz.
Old 18th Jun 2020, 9:46 am   #10
G6ONEDave
Octode

I have a Marconi TF1331 oscilloscope, which I was told was used for looking at these VLF signals. The scope has positions 1, 3, 10 seconds on the timebase selector switch. It also has 1, 3, 10, 30, 100 and 300 msecs as well as 1, 3, 10, 30, 100 and 300 usecs. The scope seldom gets any use these days and would probably need a full service / restoration before it could be put back into service again.
Old 18th Jun 2020, 9:49 am   #11
jimscoper
Triode

Thanks very much everyone. M0cemdave, I now know how to pass a dull wet afternoon - very interesting. I knew about VLF but it was going across the old Long and Medium Wave bands that surprised me.

The past is a different country.
Old 19th Jun 2020, 9:19 am   #12
G3VKM_Roger
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimscoper View Post
Thanks very much everyone. M0cemdave, I now know how to pass a dull wet afternoon - very interesting. I knew about VLF but it was going across the old Long and Medium Wave bands that surprised me.

The past is a different country.
I have HRO and HRO-50 receiver coil packs for 50 to 100 kHz but haven't heard anything identifiable. Anyone know if there is any activity in that band?

"The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there". One of my favourite opening lines, comes from the book "The Go-Between".

Roger/G3VKM

====================================
Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar. - Edward R. Murrow
Old 19th Jun 2020, 9:21 am   #13
Jon_G4MDC
Nonode

Those coil packs will mostly cover the time stations MSF , DCF77 etc.
Not much fun to listen to.
Old 20th Jun 2020, 11:10 am   #14
trh01uk
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimscoper View Post
Been looking at German radio in early WW2 and I am a bit curious as to their use of transmitters and receivers in the 100KHz to 1.2MHz region. The Langwellen Sender 100/08 is an example.

Very well made etc but slap bang in the middle of broadcast bands when I would have expected them to use bands in the 4 to 9MHz region.

Why do this and did this actually work and did it die out early on or continue?
Simple really. They wanted good ground wave range, and as you go down in frequency that range improves - dramatically. Radio 4 long wave of course being a good example.

The British WS18 started life as a set covering 6 - 9MHz. Then came the same set but at a lower frequency of 3 to 5.2MHz (I think) - called the WS68. Then that set was reinvented as a WS68P covering 1.75 - 2.9MHz, again to get that better ground wave range.

It died out rapidly post-WWII because VHF sets came along, with FM rather than AM, and the improvement in voice quality, both from a good S/N ratio plus freedom from interference meant that ground wave on HF was really on its way out. Apparently the Americans turning up at D-Day with their BC-1000 sets (40 - 48MHz, FM) was a revelation - "this is how radios should work"!

Richard
Old 4th Sep 2020, 10:48 am   #15
73TORANA!
Triode

The LF band was used extensively by the RAAF in the pacific theatre. The Aircraft fitted with a 130 - 500Khz transmitter used a trailing antenna that had to be wound in prior to landing. The AWA AR8 AT5 LF / HF radio system designed and built here in Australia was used in Beauforts and Beaufighters in New Guinea / New Britain and coastal patrols of Australia areas for example. While the primary frequency was around 6800Khz, LF frequencies between 200 and 500 Khz were used.

Geoff.
Old 9th Dec 2020, 4:45 am   #16
majoconz
Heptode

My best catch has been Palmerston North from Alice Springs 4293km 335kHz but heard only once - I keep trying! Often get Port McQuarie PMQ on 395kHz but I think he's gone QRT too - probably replaced with a VOR/DME. That was when I lived on top of a nice hill overlooking the town - unfortunately now I'm down in a valley!
Old 9th Dec 2020, 10:13 am   #17
73TORANA!
Triode

Unfortunately most NDB's have gone now here in Aus but I found mid winter is the best time.
Cheers Geoff
Closed Thread