UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Oct 2020, 7:45 pm   #61
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Is Radio as we know it obsolescent?

I found out that the CD player in my car from new 14 years ago can recognise and play MP3 files burned onto CDROM. I can select tracks by stepping through, or voice commanded track number just as if it was a big hundred+ track CD.

It's a 6-disc changer integrated in an alpine head unit with Land Rover branding on it.

I also have my CD collection on iTunes loaded onto a 30 gig ipod on an analogue aux audio input port.

I have never discovered where the sensors are that allow the random play mode to pick the rude tracks off of the Monty Python Sings album I got some christmasses ago, whenever I'm in earshot of other cars. I think it's linked to the window positioners.

David
Old 7th Oct 2020, 9:19 pm   #62
bikerhifinut
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley118 View Post
I realise that I'm probably exhibiting a 'so last century' frame of mind in my definition of 'radio as we know it'.

Like, I guess, so many of us, my stereo system consists of a stack of standard width modules, including pre-amp, tuner (FM/DAB), CD player, and - yes - cassette recorder. On top of course is the turntable. Though some units are reaching 'vintage' classification, everything performs pretty well, feeding the Quad 405 power amps.

Now, I'd like to integrate internet radio into that setup. But how?

Sometimes I mess around with my iPad, plugging the headphone output into a spare input on the pre-amp. Then I have to select the right app, and find the wanted station (no easy station presets). Now and again the iPad decides to send me one of its 'notification' sounds, which can be disturbingly impressive through the stereo speakers. Instead of being a straightforward entertainment system, my whole internet radio rig is instead akin to those experimental radios of the 1920s where the techie listener had to work to 'win' the required programme after a lot of fiddling.

Does anyone have a solution to my problem? All I want is a standard width internet radio module that will sit on top of FM/DAB tuner, receive internet stations via the household wifi and plug into the stereo pre-amp so that I can switch to internet radio stations as readily as I do with DAB or FM.

Am I alone in my requirement?

Martin
Like another here, I use a Logitech Squeezebox "Touch" as my main radio source, admittedly it only does BBC R3 at 320k MP3 since the BBC altered its output, but I find it more than adequate for everyday listening through a decent Stereo system. It'll do a few other tricks if you were interested and generally I find it to be reliable and quick to "tune". We have an abysmal radio signal in our part of the Eden valley.
I had a quick check on eBay and there are a few variants of squeeze box out there and I am sure theres a few regulars on here can talk you through them.
Otherwise, theres always a Freeview box alternative with good quality feeds or freesat of your TV receiver which we also use for radio depending where in the house we are.
Hope that helps you Martin.

Andy.
Old 8th Oct 2020, 11:27 am   #63
Hartley118
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvistor View Post
I don’t know if if this do will the job but it as a line out and digital output and not expensive.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Roberts-Rad...2083700&sr=8-4
Thanks for the advice. The RS1 looks interesting and low enough cost to take a risk. It does emphasise though that my stack of standard width hi-fi kit is so very 20th century and not the way things are done these days!

Martin
Old 8th Oct 2020, 11:46 am   #64
Julesomega
Nonode

I just noticed something
As I said earlier, we rejected the Pure Siesta and replaced it with a John Lewis Prelude which I thought looked very similar to the VQ Lark. When I overheard my wife asking her daughter how best to dispose of unwanted radios to not harm the environment (answer, take them to Currys who send them for 'recycling') I quietly found the threatened radio and installed it by my bed. As you can't guess how to set an alarm on these I went on pure.com to find the instructions. They have a page which lists all their models including the John Lewis ones. The PDF for both have links which show they are Samsung models

It's good here

Last edited by Julesomega; 8th Oct 2020 at 12:02 pm.
Old 8th Oct 2020, 1:14 pm   #65
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julesomega View Post
The PDF for both have links which show they are Samsung models
Can't say I had previously noticed Pure models that were Samsung clones, which isn't to say there may not be quite a history. Roberts have been using Samsung for many years, including DAB sets at least as far back as 2004.

Paul
Old 8th Oct 2020, 1:53 pm   #66
Julesomega
Nonode

I presume that a manufacturer like Samsung will come up with a new model and offer it to their customers, who will then say "yes please, with our current logo, in grey and with smaller buttons and more memories"

It's good here
Old 8th Oct 2020, 11:48 pm   #67
Julesomega
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
I used to have a little Philips bedside radio.
Turn the knob and watch a pointer on a string tuning. LW MW VHF. It used the mains cable as the VHF antenna. It worked well, but suffered form a tiny speaker. Big touch switch on top to kill the alarm. Small click switch would set the radio going for an hour, hold to decrease the doze-off time
Ah, the Philips AS 396 - inherited one from my mother-in-law, in continuous use since new, never needed any work. Mind you, I never tuned it, didn't fancy replacing that cord stuff

Today replaced by the rejected DAB model, with lots of presets only three button-presses away
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Philips AS 396.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	217361  

It's good here
Old 9th Oct 2020, 2:13 pm   #68
agardiner
Octode

Personally I still love FM and I still listen to Radio Caroline on MW as well.

DAB has the potential to be quite good but typically we sacrifice quality for quantity. There is one independent station on DAB near me which is very good, broadcasting at 192Kbits. Most stations are a maximum of 128K J stereo, and many are only 80K mono. Whilst they can still sound respectable on a decent DAB radio, on the whole they are awful and I certainly can't stand them on headphones.

I am a fossil without the internet at home so long live traditional radio. Like others here I would rather give up the TV than radio. Interestingly my 10 year old BMW has a DAB/FM/AM/SW radio in it and often receives a number of shortwave stations!

As for all you internet radio fans out there, are you aware of an app called 'RadioGarden'? Obviously I don't have it myself but some of my colleagues do and it looks great fun. Pulls internet stations by using a world map that you can zoom into. Give it a try!
Old 2nd Nov 2020, 2:51 am   #69
Pete_1966
Triode

I think standard broadcast radio stations that are dependent on advert revenue will eventually fizzle out, apart from 'local' stations, which still seem to hold their own. National broadcasters funded by a licence fee will no doubt be legally obliged to provide a basic 'on air' service to facilitate those who may not have the tech-savvy or the hardware/broadband to tune into internet radio. Personally, I feel that mainstream radio, especially music stations, is going down the tubes. Annoying non-stop 'train of thought' DJ babble, mind-numbing phone-in chat shows and silly competitions, padded out by long ad breaks and "Sponsored by: *enter brand name*" pre & post announcements before and after weather, traffic and news reports. There are some good digital stations I like, e.g. RTE Gold, which our TV set picks up off Saorview (the Irish version of Freeview); that particular channel plays a wide variety of old hits without the afore-mentioned dross. My 2007 Toyota's OEM unit plays MP3's that I burn onto blank CD's which is a life saver as I just cannot listen to any of the music stations when on the road.
Old 2nd Nov 2020, 4:24 am   #70
ThePillenwerfer
Octode

Thanks for the tip.
Old 2nd Nov 2020, 9:15 am   #71
Radio Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julesomega View Post

Ah, the Philips AS 396 - inherited one from my mother-in-law, in continuous use since new, never needed any work. Mind you, I never tuned it, didn't fancy replacing that cord stuff
Not actually that model. Mine was a flat format job, only a tuning scale and knob facing the bed. Volume knob and band selecting slide switch round the right side. Bought in about 1980 and worked reliably ever since.

David