UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 31st Jul 2010, 11:22 pm   #1
2e0vpx_mkars
Retired Dormant Member

Default Some advice about a large collection of testgear

Hello all,

I am the Chairman of Milton Keynes Amateur Radio Society based at Bletchley Park. The club has just come into possession of a VERY large collection of vintage electronic test equipment, including some very high quality pieces. We plan to sell some of it at our upcoming rally, but some of it looks far too good to sell in that way. I wonder whether there is anyone from this forum who might be able to help us value it?

Here is a picture of the nicest piece. It is an Precision AVO Meter, with a hand-signed certificate dated 1968. Just to be clear, I'm not trying to sell it, or the other pieces here - just looking for some advice on valuing.

The AVO below is just beautiful - the box alone is a work of art and is in near perfect condition. It could have come out of the factory yesterday. It's a also a big item - about 36cms wide. The picture doesn't do it justice at all.

Might anyone here be able to help?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	avo1.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	38831  
Old 1st Aug 2010, 8:35 am   #2
Alan Stepney
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Some advice about a large collection of testgear

Mike Barker springs to mind.

Mike, who is the chairman of the BVWS has many years experience, both of mending, and using vintage electronics, and also values items for people, as well as being the auctioneer at the BVWS auctions (which would be an ideal way for you to dispose of said items.)

Mike can be contacted via https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/member.php?u=511

Last edited by Alan Stepney; 1st Aug 2010 at 8:37 am. Reason: Added contact detals
Old 1st Aug 2010, 10:53 am   #3
David Simpson
Nonode

2e0vpx, I reckon the hint of some of your ARS's lovely vintage equipment becoming available has a caused a number of us to salviate considerably.
I do hope that you might consider offering some of it on this BVWS Forum, or at one of the well attended Swap-Meets. Hopefully, you'll be assured that they'll be used for collection & restoration project purposes, & receive loads of TLC. Rather than offering them on the internet, where, like so many items these days, they would be bartered for profitability reasons by folk with little interest or experience in vintage technology.

Regards, David
Old 1st Aug 2010, 10:53 am   #4
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Hi MKARS....

A problem indeed.

If most of this test equipment is of this sort of age, you will most likeley find two things...

1, it isn't particularly valuable - these were mainly used as lab standards, and as such have limited use on a day to day basis, coupled with their size, and age.

2, There arent that many people that collect this sort of stuff, mainly for the reasons above.

Knowing where you meet, I wonder if this had any basis for the donation of this equipment?

Best of luck with your planned disposal route - A radio rally is probably the best way of getting shot of the bulk, while making some cash for club funds - the Stevenage club split several tons of test gear with Verulam some years ago (all much newer than this sort of stuff) and got some very useful stuff out of it, along with raising enough funding for a new club shack - all of this was done by selling at rallies (CDARC, and DDRC bootsale) along with a fair bit of eBay

If I can be of any assistance then please let me know - I did most of the selling for the Stevenage club.

Cheers
Sean
M1ECY