UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Jan 2009, 7:02 pm   #1
Pete_kaye
Octode

Default Connecting to a computer speaker

I have a simple crystal type set or two,which I use plugged into a pair of Trust 60W computer speakers which can give plenty of volume.
However there is always a loud buzz to overcome which only occurs when the speakers are plugged into the jack plug previously occupied by headphones.My question is whether there is a better way of connecting up .Via a condensor?Series?
The speakers are mains only with a 2 ply lead and no earth.I am using the mains as a separate earth to the receiver.
Old 5th Jan 2009, 7:04 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Connecting to a computer speaker

Hi Peter,

Have you tried reversing the connections to the headphone socket?

Nick.
Old 7th Jan 2009, 10:21 am   #3
peter_sol
Octode

I would imagine that the speakers need 5oo mv and the crystal set only gives out a few mv if that so you will have your speakers turned up much higher than normal hence the hum
also the crystal set will be all unscreened you could try screening it

Regards

Peter.
Old 7th Jan 2009, 4:43 pm   #4
Pete_kaye
Octode

Thanks guys. I tried reversing leads. No change. I realised this only occurs when connected to my home made SW coil which gives little output; I will try some kind of screening. I was originally wondering about how to link up these type of speakers. Is it good enough to just connect them where the headphones were? No trx used as phones very high IMP.
Old 7th Jan 2009, 6:09 pm   #5
Lee de Forest
Retired Dormant Member

I run a home made crystal set through some PC speakers. The output was low due to the weak signal strength. I then run the crystal set through the phono input on a HI-FI amp with much better results. I assume this was because the HI-FI amp would have a pre-amp for the stylus.
Old 7th Jan 2009, 9:27 pm   #6
Framer Dave
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee de Forest View Post
I then run the crystal set through the phono input on a HI-FI amp with much better results. I assume this was because the HI-FI amp would have a pre-amp for the stylus.
The phono input of a Hi-Fi amp will certainly provide much more gain than the line-level input of a computer speaker, however the amp's phono input is passed through an RIAA equalisation filter, which will result in bass boost and treble cut if used with any signal other than that from a record player cartridge. This is due to the use of the RIAA recording characteristic when making discs.

Sorry if this is a bit OT.

Dave
Old 12th Jan 2009, 4:22 pm   #7
Pete_kaye
Octode

My question is then:can I fit something simple between the radio and the speakers that will boost the input.I have tried a simple 1 transistor amp using a BC108,which gave a boost.I will try inputting via my Leak 1970 amp which has switchable gain and 3 inputs.
Closed Thread