UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Jul 2019, 10:18 pm   #1
humphrey
Retired Dormant Member

Default ACER radio

I just bought a thirties radio at a vide grenier for three Euros. There are no valves or speaker and I have not been able to find a schematic. It has three knobs and has a vertical gothic appearance with a semi circular dial. There are seven valves 27,24,58,57,47 and what looks like two rectifier valves 32 and 80
The nearest I can find is here https://www.doctsf.com/a-c-e-r-model.../f46625/ori=ps The case is identical
I believe that most valves have 2.5v heaters with 80 that is 6.3v

Last edited by humphrey; 20th Jul 2019 at 10:27 pm.
Old 22nd Jul 2019, 9:14 am   #2
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default Re: ACER radio

80 has 5V filament.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 22nd Jul 2019, 10:56 am   #3
humphrey
Retired Dormant Member

That is true as you say but I was measuring the actual voltage at the socket.
I am having second thoughts now as all the valves are missing and replacement of them is bound to be very expensive. I now realise that the missing valve label with the UX4 base would be a triode possibly 10 or 20.
I have not been able to find a schematic either. It is a pity as it is an impressive looking case. Finding a set of reasonably priced valves would be a bonus. Thank you for your reply Chris.

Last edited by humphrey; 22nd Jul 2019 at 11:17 am.
Old 22nd Jul 2019, 11:08 am   #4
Mike. Watterson
Heptode

I'd not worry too much about the schematic unless it's been "got at"!
The valves is a trickier issue.
Old 22nd Jul 2019, 11:49 am   #5
humphrey
Retired Dormant Member

The loudspeaker and output transformer are missing and there is no trace where it may have been wired from.
Old 22nd Jul 2019, 7:12 pm   #6
Herald1360
Dekatron

Well the output TX primary will connect between the output valve anode and HT+. Probably the smoothing cap + rather than reservoir cap + on an old set like this. Speaker to the secondary of the TX. Setup could be complicated if an energised field speaker with the field either in series with (as a filter inductor) or across the HT was originally fitted, in which case modifying the set to a PM speaker and adding a suitable resistor might be needed.

Cost of valves may make this uneconomic to repair...... maybe just polish it up as a display piece?
.........O..Chris....O
Old 22nd Jul 2019, 7:21 pm   #7
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Knowledge of the output valve should enable you to get the correct transformer
Given the speaker size/ fixing centers should get you a suitable one from one of the members via the wanted ads unless it is a very slimline unit you need.
Does it have a choke or big smoothing resistor or does it need an energised speaker.

Ed
Old 22nd Jul 2019, 8:43 pm   #8
humphrey
Retired Dormant Member

Sadly, the cost of the replacement valves will preclude the restoration of this early wireless. The only way out of this is to preserve it "as is" and install a seperate bluetooth module and amp. Unless I can get the valves at a good price. Any leads would be welcome.
Closed Thread