UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Forum Announcements and Comments

Notices

Forum Announcements and Comments Announcements about forum changes will be made in this section. All new threads here now require moderator approval.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Jan 2017, 11:16 am   #1
DigitalNoMore
Pentode

Default Experience Of Offering Stuff Free Of Charge

Whilst I've been on this site I've offered 3 items FOC.

One received no replies - fair enough if no one's interested.
I got immediate replies of interest for both the other two but one of them ignored two requests for an address to post the item to and the other backed out of collecting the item on 2 occasions and then wouldn't give a firm date for collection.

I'd be very interested in other people's experience of offering things for sale on here. I hope I'm wrong but I do get the impression that some people express immediate interest in an item just in case they might want it and to prevent anyone else from getting it in the meantime.

It's a shame because it spoils things for the majority of very genuine people there are on here.
Old 30th Jan 2017, 11:28 am   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Experience Of Offering Stuff Free Of Charge

It does happen, but I think you've been unlucky having all 3 of your items go wrong.

I've certainly had the odd problem like this, not through deliberate dishonesty but because people underestimate the difficulties involved in collecting stuff and don't appreciate the inconvenience and irritation they're causing. It happens with Freecycle/Freegle disposals too.
Old 30th Jan 2017, 11:33 am   #3
ParcGwyn
Hexode

I have not had a problem on the one occasion I offered something, the item was collected quickly and I even managed to offload some other surplus.

Dave

GW7ONS
Old 30th Jan 2017, 11:39 am   #4
DigitalNoMore
Pentode

I have offered a few things on Freecycle and had no problems. Maybe I've just been unlucky on here.

I don't think people are deliberately dishonest but I think some people are maybe a bit selfish and inconsiderate and don't think about whether they are really interested in an item before saying that they want it. This can then prevent someone with a genuine interest from getting the item which is a shame.
Old 30th Jan 2017, 11:44 am   #5
paulsherwin

That's why most people use the 'names in a hat' system when disposing of stuff. It means that everyone has a fair chance and there's no advantage in jumping in first.
Old 30th Jan 2017, 11:50 am   #6
frankmcvey
Rest in Peace

I think you've been unlucky. I've used the forum system many times as buyer, seller, freebie recipient and freebie donor - all good experiences and I've met quite a number of genuine, knowledgeable and likeable people in the process.
Old 30th Jan 2017, 11:51 am   #7
MrBungle
Dekatron

This is why I never give anything away free to start with. Even a basic £5 on it puts off a lot of people who aren't really interested in it but want something for free. Anyone with genuine interest can have it for nothing if they agree to pay the £5 to start with
Old 30th Jan 2017, 12:03 pm   #8
DigitalNoMore
Pentode

I agree, the 'hat' system certainly helps and although not perfect, is about the best way of doing it and helps to weed out the chancers using the laws of probability!

On a more positive note, my experience on here to date won't stop me offering more stuff on here FOC. Also, the site is a great resource of information and a great way for people to share their knowledge and experience. I, and I'm sure many others, are very grateful for the hard work put in by everyone involved in running the site.
Old 30th Jan 2017, 12:04 pm   #9
Hartley118
Nonode

I suspect that stuff offered totally free may fail to get the respect it deserves.

My own experience in offering an old TV on the site for £20 for charity was entirely good - everything went very well.

Martin
Old 30th Jan 2017, 12:09 pm   #10
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

I got rid of a pile of Tektronix mainframes here FOC, collection only. Mainly 7704A's but a few 76xx series too. I'd bought them years ago with the idea of doing them up and selling them, but other aspects of life got in the way.

I ran a hat. Everyone turned up, and left with a 'scope. First to arrive got first pick etc. Some apparently worked straight off, and others needed minor repairs.

Craig
Old 30th Jan 2017, 12:38 pm   #11
Nymrod121
Nonode

In the case of my recent offers of VCR machines they were both gifted to me for nothing ... I felt it only right to offer them FoC (provided I could cover my outgoings on their relocation). Perhaps I'm being naive and/or not mercenary enough.
Guy
Old 30th Jan 2017, 1:23 pm   #12
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

A lot depends on where you are.
What is on offer is sometimes a big draw until she who must be obeyed objects to collecting it.
I have had only good experiences, perhaps I have been fortunate.
I agree that having a price for an item will stop the fortune hunters and insisting on getting it delivered rather than collect sorts the wheat from the chaff, Hermes etc. are not so dear and with good packing the incidence of breakage I have found to be zero.
Old 30th Jan 2017, 1:28 pm   #13
camtechman
Nonode

Quote:
I have offered a few things on Freecycle and had no problems.

Lucky you, I've lost count of the number of "No Shows" on Freecycle.

That's the human race for you.
Old 30th Jan 2017, 1:41 pm   #14
kalee20
Dekatron

I've passed on a few things FOC, no problems except when no interest is showed! Then I can't bear to dump them, so I try again in a few months!
Old 30th Jan 2017, 4:41 pm   #15
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
That's why most people use the 'names in a hat' system when disposing of stuff. It means that everyone has a fair chance and there's no advantage in jumping in first.
As a responder, I sometimes express an interest in an item with the proviso that I will defer to someone with a genuine need - while ensuring that the item has a potential home if no other interest is expressed.

I hope that I have never failed to follow up if I'm offered the item.
Old 30th Jan 2017, 7:00 pm   #16
TonyDuell
Dekatron

I have a related problem....

At the end of last year I offered an AR88LF 'for restoration' free of charge. Decided to run a hat if necessary. Obviously collection only.

In the event only one person replied. They said they coulld collect so I PMed them to arrange time/date. Never heard back from them, I don't think they've been active on the site since. And I have no way of contacting them. I do, of course, hope that they have not been taken ill or had an accident.

But this leaves me with a problem. There is an AR88LF here. Morally I can't offer it to anyone else. Practically the reason I offered it in the first place is that I need the space.

What is the correct thing to do?
Old 30th Jan 2017, 7:12 pm   #17
Station X

I had a similar problem with the same member about six minths earlier. In my case it was with an item which was offered for sale in aid of charity. He made me an offer and when it was accepted I never heard from him again despite sending him PMs and emails.

The member still visits the forums, so as far as I'm concerned he's a time waster. You have no moral duty to him.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 30th Jan 2017, 7:27 pm   #18
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDuell View Post
What is the correct thing to do?
I'd say if you have had no response after a month despite trying then assume he/she isn't interested and offer it again.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 30th Jan 2017, 7:28 pm   #19
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Thank you. I have just checked and noticed the chap who said he wanted my AR88 was active a few days ago. I have sent him another PM. If he does not reply within a sensible time, I will feel I can offer the radio again.
Old 30th Jan 2017, 7:55 pm   #20
Cobaltblue

I find offering items on the forum FOC usually works out OK.

Not all items attract someone but that's the nature of it.

There have been occasions when I wish people read the post before asking questions already answered in the original post but that's life.

Some have taken items from me more than once and have been swift and more than fair.

Freecycle needs to come with a health warning.

There seem to be a number of "grabbers" who only later work out if they want it or not.

One item (8ft by 6th Shed) had more than 20 replys within a couple of hours. I was on number 8 before I found someone who would actually pick it up in the timescale with a vehicle big enough to remove it.

I was still getting reply's 2 months later even though the original post said it needed to be collected within 3 days or it would be burnt!

I take stuff to the recycle centre now rather than bother with Freecycle

Sad but life's too short.

Cheers

Mike T
Closed Thread