UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Feb 2013, 5:55 pm   #1
Dick Glennon
Hexode

Default Part of background missing on glass dial

Hi again, I have part of the background colour (blue) missing on a glass dial. Could anyone please tell me what sort of paint I could use that would not attack the surrounding finish?

Thanks, Dick.
Old 25th Feb 2013, 9:59 am   #2
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Default Re: Part of background missing on glass dial

Anything other than cellulose ought to be OK, Dick. How about Humbrol from a model shop?
Old 25th Feb 2013, 10:05 am   #3
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

The usual advice applies, Dick... try some potentially suitable paint on a bit which wouldn't show, i.e. on the extreme edge which is masked by the cabinet.

N.
Old 25th Feb 2013, 6:47 pm   #4
Audio1950
Dekatron

Artist's acrylic, followed by a coat of acrylic varnish. Water soluble until varnished, so plenty of chances to get it right. Worked for me! A word of caution, though. I used to be a porcelain restorer, and the hardest colour to get right is blue, no matter what type of paint is used. In fact, I doubt you will never get it right! If you manage to get exactly the right shade during daylight, it will look purple under artificial light, and if you get the right shade under artificial light, it will appear black in daylight. You will need to get two or three different tubes of blue and a black and a white, to hopefully get the right shade. Good luck!

Barry
Closed Thread