UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Jul 2019, 11:45 pm   #21
tommytwo
Diode

Default Re: Beolit 1000 converter.

A reply to Studio263

Thanks for your input which I was very glad to see. My plan is to rebuild the small coil in the converter over the winter and return the set to its original condition. But its not an easy thing for me to do as I have Arthritus in my hands and do not have a lot of manual dexterity. Which wires did you break? If it was the smallest one, how exactlly were you able to repair it? Measured over the fabric covering, mine measured 0.15mm in diameter and would not solder at all.

I suspect that you are spot on about a switch mode converter introducing noise into the AM circuits, as it produces a square wave and not a sine wave. I have not yet had the time to fabricate a metal enclosure for it, I expect that to make a big difference. After all, the origonal converter was housed in a metal shielding box. I have managed to get hold of some switch cleaner and the switches are now clean, no noise when switching and I can hear the improvement, less noise through the speaker. Radio 5 Live on AM produces a very clear undistorted signal.

My task tomorrow is to look into why it will not run on battery power. I suspect that the plug for the mains connecter may be the problem, it may be stuck in one position.

Thanks. Thomas
Closed Thread