UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Sets, Parts and Service Information Offered (private sellers only, exact price required, no swaps)

Notices

Sets, Parts and Service Information Offered (private sellers only, exact price required, no swaps) You may announce components or sets for sale or offered free here. Private collectors only - no traders. You must include an exact price. No swaps.

Old 27th Oct 2020, 10:45 am   #1
electronicskip
Octode

Default Philips N1702 for sale 50

Trying to slim down my video recorder collection so here is a Philips N1702 Long play recorder .

Sold as unworking although it lights up and when you press buttons things happen but was sold to me as with faults and ive not done anything with it as i have a few of these machines.

Selling for 50 collection in Gloucestershire only due to weight and no time to arrange parcels etc .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	n1700.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	218999  
Old 27th Oct 2020, 11:24 am   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Philips N1702 for sale 50

I launched the Philips N1500 for Philips in the UK - so when this later model came along about 12 months later in the early 1970s, I thought this was really something!
Old 27th Oct 2020, 1:34 pm   #3
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
I launched the Philips N1500 for Philips in the UK - so when this later model came along about 12 months later in the early 1970s, I thought this was really something!
It was really something! I spent about ten years collecting and restoring video recorders of all formats and if you fed them all with the same quality tape (more about that below), then the 1700 produces the best picture, maybe even better than S-VHS.

At the time that VHS sales were coming to an end I bought some of the very best specification Maxell video tapes that I could lay my hands on. I then wound this tape onto the older format cassettes and the improvement is something to behold, amazing! Basically, it was tape technology that held back video picture quality for many years, and the older formats (that went extinct) were never able to take advantage of the newer tape formulations. I say to anyone who is into vintage video, try it.
Old 27th Oct 2020, 2:37 pm   #4
Aub
Octode

Quote:
Blimey! What price were they back then? I didn't get a VCR until 1983 and that one was over 400.

Cheers

Aub
Old 27th Oct 2020, 2:57 pm   #5
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aub View Post
Quote:
Blimey! What price were they back then? I didn't get a VCR until 1983 and that one was over 400.

Cheers

Aub
Well, the 1500 sold for nearly 600. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_Cassette_Recording
Old 27th Oct 2020, 3:53 pm   #6
Davewantsone
Hexode

I bought a brand new N1500 with one 45min tape at the begining of December 1974 the cost was 449 from Currys. They came on sale to the general public in August that year and I had to wait 2 months to get mine!
Davewantsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Oct 2020, 4:02 pm   #7
LukeG83
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davewantsone View Post
I bought a brand new N1500 with one 45min tape at the begining of December 1974 the cost was 449 from Currys. They came on sale to the general public in August that year and I had to wait 2 months to get mine!
That's amazing - do you still have it?
LukeG83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Oct 2020, 4:24 pm   #8
Davewantsone
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeG83 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davewantsone View Post
That's amazing - do you still have it?
Sadly I part exchanged it for a N1700 ( I still have two of these). Quite a few years later I got a N1501 which I still have.
Davewantsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Oct 2020, 5:20 pm   #9
RobustReviews
Pentode

If you still have this I'm very happy to arrange a courier and give you a bit toward packing it it if that's any good?
RobustReviews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Oct 2020, 5:30 pm   #10
electronicskip
Octode

I do still have it but unfortunatly i just cant be around for couriers very much as i work shifts and can be called in at anytime , so its strictly collection only in person .

Maybe you could get it FCS ?
Old 28th Oct 2020, 11:44 am   #11
electronicskip
Octode

bumping this once . ive also got the N1700 and i think ive a 1502 as well all in need of work. all 50 each.
Old 28th Oct 2020, 12:09 pm   #12
Snarf81
Hexode

An n1502 sounds interesting..
Snarf81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Oct 2020, 12:27 pm   #13
phildil
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehertz View Post
At the time that VHS sales were coming to an end I bought some of the very best specification Maxell video tapes that I could lay my hands on. I then wound this tape onto the older format cassettes and the improvement is something to behold, amazing! Basically, it was tape technology that held back video picture quality for many years, and the older formats (that went extinct) were never able to take advantage of the newer tape formulations. I say to anyone who is into vintage video, try it.
Interesting point. I have a working Sony AV series open reel VTR (ca. 1973) and since any original tapes one finds have deteriorated, I feed it with recycled VHS tape (in plentiful supply) rewound on to 1/2 " spools. The resulting picture quality on my last generation CRT TV is really v good indeed ... in black and white of course
phildil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Oct 2020, 5:15 pm   #14
collisr
Tetrode

Hi electronicskip,

Do you think the heads in the N1702 and N1502 are still in reasonable working shape? If so, I'd love to pop down and take them off your hands for 50 each.

I'll drop you a PM/

Rob
collisr is offline   Reply With Quote