UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Jan 2008, 9:50 pm   #1
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

Default simulation software -- power supplies

The other day I was reading a thread here about a half-wave rectified power supply.

One contributor, I think an Andy, helfpully posted a gif from what looked like simulation software, showing peak and average voltage and so on. I was interested in asking where to get such simulation software, especially for where there are more components and variables involved. I left the page overnight, thinking to post a question the next morning, but a cat, mouse or perhaps an extremely heavy beetle accidentally walked over the keyboard and left the forum on my behalf.

Does anyone recall this post, or is that very Andy, or otherwise knows what I'm talking about?

I should stress that I can do the basic calcs (Vpeak, Vrms, Vave) myself, but I'm still at a stage where a little visualisation is rather nice, especially when it comes to quickly analysing things like ripple voltage.
Old 7th Jan 2008, 10:06 pm   #2
sortedradio
Heptode

Default Re: simulation software -- power supplies

Hello Astral,
There is some nice simulation software on the Linear Technology website to download for free. Its called LT Spice and there was another called Switcher CAD. Definitely worth a look. It has a very active forum for help, like this one which I have just joined.
Good luck!
Old 7th Jan 2008, 10:49 pm   #3
Herald1360
Dekatron

Er, it wouldn't be the one in the never ending Murphy replacement parts thread in vintage audio would it?

If it is, it's from a package called "Simetrix" originally developed by a guy who used to work at the same company as myself, but left to start his own business. The software is now owned by Catena http://www.catena.uk.com/
There is a free demo version which I think could handle simple circuits like the half wave rectifier but it is limited in size of circuit and other ways....

(It's also probably many versions later now than the copy I have, which calls for a 486..... seems happy enough under XP, though)

Added a print of circuit i simulated...

Chris (who's Andy?)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	half wave.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	10.6 KB
ID:	14357  

Last edited by Herald1360; 7th Jan 2008 at 11:09 pm.
Old 7th Jan 2008, 11:02 pm   #4
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

Quote:
Er, it wouldn't be the one in the never ending Murphy replacement parts thread in vintage audio would it?
Yes, bravo!

Quote:
If it is, it's from a package called "Simetrix"
Thanks Chris -- I'll take a look

Sorry about the name confusion!!
Old 7th Jan 2008, 11:58 pm   #5
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Al, another good package is Electronics Workbench, some free trial down loads are availabe and should be OK for the work you are doing.
To use them professionally there are all sorts of problems as the basic programmes take no account of parasitics etc. The result is the sim works, the real circuit goes Phutt!!

Ed
Old 8th Jan 2008, 12:13 am   #6
XTC
Retired Dormant Member

Try the PSUD2 power supply simulator from the Duncan's Amps site. You can set up all sorts of filters and there are a lot of valve and semiconductor rectifiers set up to play with. It lets you graph pretty much everything you need.

http://www.duncanamps.com/psud2/index.html

Pete.
Old 8th Jan 2008, 2:14 pm   #7
sortedradio
Heptode

Hi there,
This is the link for Linear Tech's free software:-

http://www.linear.com/designtools/so...witchercad.jsp

All the best Sortedradio
Closed Thread