UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Feb 2020, 12:09 am   #21
ben
Dekatron

Default Re: BBC Public Information Films

I remember people setting the chip pan on fire, overloading sockets.... also flying kites near pylons and being zapped, being run over by trains, smothered in a grain silo...

All in all, those public information films produced a generation of kids who were terrified of being at home but equally terrified of going out of it!
Old 19th Feb 2020, 12:47 am   #22
fetteler
Octode

I grew up watching all of the 1960s and 70s PIFs and I have to be honest, neither I nor anyone that I knew as a youngster was particularly scared (by these films) of either going out or staying in. Even when the hammer slammed into the peach!
I did however learn to behave sensibly, not to drop litter, follow the green cross and country codes and then when I was older I remembered to mirror signal maneuver, reverse park correctly and easily (thanks Reg!) think bike, and loads of other stuff about leaking water pipes and electrics etc. etc. even learning to discharge and earth bloomin' big industrial capacitors (or was it an inductor) which knowledge of course I have never had the slightest need to use since! I never once felt spoken down to or patronised; more reassured and looked after.
Oh, and tremendously entertained too by the light hearted ones

Bring 'em back I say - we could do with more manners and courtesy on the roads for a start - to say nothing of the litter that's everywhere these days.

Steve.

Last edited by fetteler; 19th Feb 2020 at 12:56 am.
Old 19th Feb 2020, 12:56 am   #23
AC/HL
Dekatron

Several posts deleted, please keep on topic.
Old 19th Feb 2020, 7:58 am   #24
defender
Pentode

This one stuck in my mind
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vb00H6mCTM8
Old 19th Feb 2020, 8:49 am   #25
Radio Wrangler

I think they still need that one, Defender. One day I was coming home from work and the traffic started going silly. They were all watching a big air-sea rescue helicopter hovering over a small, low lying wood near Kirkliston. Something was wrong, very wrong. That night's news explained what had been going on. It had not been an exercise. It had not been successful.

Maybe these quaint old films need updating, but we still need what they did.

David
Old 19th Feb 2020, 9:54 am   #26
barrymagrec
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetteler View Post
Although they were indeed shown on dear old 'Auntie' Beeb the films were produced for the government by the Central Office of Information. In those days was the government and not your Auntie who knew best!
Indeed, and the Central Office of Information film unit was the old pre war GPO Film unit (Think "Nightmail").
Old 19th Feb 2020, 11:47 am   #27
ms660
Dekatron

I remember these characters in public information films, Joe and Petunia.

Lawrence.
Old 19th Feb 2020, 2:00 pm   #28
defender
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
I think they still need that one, Defender. One day I was coming home from work and the traffic started going silly. They were all watching a big air-sea rescue helicopter hovering over a small, low lying wood near Kirkliston. Something was wrong, very wrong. That night's news explained what had been going on. It had not been an exercise. It had not been successful.

Maybe these quaint old films need updating, but we still need what they did.

David
Worked on me, as soon as public information films are mentioned my mind goes strait to that, kept me away from dodgy water
Old 19th Feb 2020, 2:24 pm   #29
whiskas
Octode

I think they should make some more PIFs today about more modern dangers - internet addiction, etc - but perhaps that goes against what the media compainies actually want..
Old 19th Feb 2020, 3:34 pm   #30
AC/HL
Dekatron

Very much a thing of the pre internet days. Information is delivered differently now, often with well known personality endorsement. Official/Government formats are unlikely to ever be reintroduced in this form.
Old 19th Feb 2020, 3:51 pm   #31
julie_m
Dekatron

I remember being dragged into the school hall approximately once a year, to watch some 16mm films that scared the crp out of impressionable kids (and one that wasn't quite so scary, with Goofy as the mild-mannered "Mr Walker" who turns into the belligerent "Mr Wheeler" when he gets into his car .....)

They must have had some effect on me. I don't fly kites near power lines, I don't take short cuts across railway tracks; and if I am ever leaving the office for even a few minutes, I always tell somebody, because I still have a mortal dread of the building going on fire while I'm away, and some unlucky firefighter looking for me in there.
Old 19th Feb 2020, 6:39 pm   #32
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

The one in a workshop with a man using an electric drill terrified me. The mains lead wires (no plug) were held in the socket with matchsticks. The earth moved towards the live ever so slowly then boom - our man is on the floor!
One I only saw a couple of times, but obviously made an impreesion was where a man's brain was represented by a computer room. He has his breakfast, then gets in his car. The computer operator is distracted and our hero has an accident. Could it have been called 'Drive Safely Daddy (Darling)?'
Old 19th Feb 2020, 7:06 pm   #33
ColinTheAmpMan1
Octode

If the PIF that I remember most was on BBC (I think so), it was an animated one about a thoughtless motorist who habitually opened his driver's door without looking and injured several cyclists passing him. He eventually got his come-uppance when he did it as a large lorry was bearing down on him and took his door off! I kind of think that these films could be profitably resurrected as, for instance, the number of motorcyclists that I see overtaking between the zig-zags on pedestrian crossings really is a bee in my bonnet. It would only work on BBC, as if it were shown during the advert-breaks, people would just make some tea, go to the toilet or let the cat out.
Colin.

Last edited by ColinTheAmpMan1; 19th Feb 2020 at 7:08 pm. Reason: clarity.
Old 19th Feb 2020, 9:35 pm   #34
Outrun_uk
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh Anorak View Post
The one in a workshop with a man using an electric drill terrified me. The mains lead wires (no plug) were held in the socket with matchsticks. The earth moved towards the live ever so slowly then boom - our man is on the floor!
One I only saw a couple of times, but obviously made an impreesion was where a man's brain was represented by a computer room. He has his breakfast, then gets in his car. The computer operator is distracted and our hero has an accident. Could it have been called 'Drive Safely Daddy (Darling)?'
The drill/matchstick one is the one I remember vividly, also the kite/pylon one - did that show a pair of smouldering shoes after the kite made contact or am I just imagining it?

Kev
Old 19th Feb 2020, 10:01 pm   #35
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinTheAmpMan1 View Post
If the PIF that I remember most was on BBC (I think so), it was an animated one about a thoughtless motorist who habitually opened his driver's door without looking and injured several cyclists passing him.
Colin.
When we just moved to the area getting on for 30 years ago now, the local cycling club used to use the A34 for time trials. Until one of them, head down and eyeballs out doing the thick end of 30 mph, struck such a door opened by someone in a lay by. Killed him stone dead.

That was the last time they used that road for time trials.

Craig
Old 19th Feb 2020, 10:08 pm   #36
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrymagrec View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by fetteler View Post
Although they were indeed shown on dear old 'Auntie' Beeb the films were produced for the government by the Central Office of Information. In those days was the government and not your Auntie who knew best!
Indeed, and the Central Office of Information film unit was the old pre war GPO Film unit (Think "Nightmail").
Indeed. Who would think in today's world of a poet of WH Auden's fame writing the words, with music written by Benjamin Britten to advertise a public service?

It is a truly glorious work of art from beginning to end.

Craig
Old 19th Feb 2020, 10:28 pm   #37
Philips210
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms660 View Post
I remember these characters in public information films, Joe and Petunia.

Lawrence.
Hi

I have to admit that as a kid I took notice of these public information films and feel something similar could be aired these days in a revised format. They must have saved scores of lives. Some of the car films about seat belts, keep your distance, worn/wrong tyres and drinking and driving really struck home.

Regards,
Symon
Old 19th Feb 2020, 10:44 pm   #38
Sideband
Dekatron

Heres one from 1959 worth watching....those were the days!

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/...ge_bpolice.htm
Old 20th Feb 2020, 12:20 am   #39
unitaudio
Heptode

"I'll be back-ack-ack-ack..."

Regards,
Paul
Old 20th Feb 2020, 12:50 am   #40
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Sawyers View Post
Indeed. Who would think in today's world of a poet of WH Auden's fame writing the words, with music written by Benjamin Britten to advertise a public service?
The Sound Recording credit is "Pawley & Sullivan", I think that must be EA Pawley who wrote the definitive book on BBC engineering.

Last edited by Graham G3ZVT; 20th Feb 2020 at 12:58 am.
Closed Thread