UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Dec 2019, 4:12 pm   #1
govjohn
Pentode

Default What's this?

Hi, I'm hoping the collective knowledge of this forum can help in identifying a component I've had for a couple of years. It's shown in the attached photos. It measures 0.2 inches square by 0.1 inch high. It is not a push button, the metal disk is attractive to a magnet, probing it with a testmeter reveals 'diodey' characteristics, as shown. It has been suggested it may be a Hall effect device but passing a current between various pins while waving a magnet around it has shown nothing. Has anyone seen anything like it and if so where?
John.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Unknown 1.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	195987   Click image for larger version

Name:	Unknown 2.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	195988   Click image for larger version

Name:	Unknown 3.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	195989  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Unknown 4.pdf (10.0 KB, 53 views)
Old 28th Dec 2019, 4:38 pm   #2
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

Default Re: What's this?

It does look very much like a hall effect sensor, there are 2 similar looking ones in some of my direct drive turntables, just without the metal disc.

Regards,
Lloyd
Old 28th Dec 2019, 5:39 pm   #3
julie_m
Dekatron

Hall effect sensor was my first thought, too.

If it's the type I'm thnking of, there will be two pins for power supply and ground, and two differential outputs which should be at equal voltages with no applied magnetic field. If it is working, one output will go up and the other will go down if you bring the North pole of a magnet near it; they will change in the opposite way with the South pole of a magnet.

It's probably not surprising that a resistance meter doesn't show much happening, as the DC-coupled output stage will not be properly biased unless the IC has the correct power supply.
Old 29th Dec 2019, 12:14 am   #4
Terry_VK5TM
Nonode

One of my VRT substitute books shows that shape for a transistor and or diode as well.

I will need some time to go through the book to try and pin down some numbers as it shows as 'Fig 42' in the connections data.
Closed Thread