UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Mar 2016, 5:46 pm   #1
RadioHist
Pentode

Default Philips black capacitors-historical perspective

Hi,

I am preparing to exhibit a Philips 204U made in occupied Holland in 1941/42 and exported to Sweden.

These sets have coupling and decoupling capacitors encased in what look a lot like some sort of tar. I see that they were in Philips/Mullard sets as well.

My question for the group is: At the time and during the useful life of these radios were these capacitors regarded as good, bad or typical of such devices in the marketplace?

Thanks,
Robert
Old 2nd Mar 2016, 6:07 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Philips black capacitors-historical perspective

I think they are typical domestic grade waxed paper capacitors, no better or worse than the others that we see. They certainly gave no trouble for the first 10 years, which I suppose is the nominal life of the radios they were in. Nowadays they are usually leaky of course.

They were used by all Philips European subsidiaries in the 40s and 50s, including Philips UK and Philips Ireland.
Old 2nd Mar 2016, 8:34 pm   #3
Nicklyons2
Octode

I believe these were regarded as better suited to export use being better resilient to damp and hence Philips famed 'tropicalised' sets. Personally I found them to be as good as anything else around at the time I always found the date codes on them interesting in that the month was in 'Romans' e.g. 16XII55.
Old 2nd Mar 2016, 9:13 pm   #4
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Under WWII occupation component-availability constraints I guess just being able to produce a 'consumer' radio for export is best viewed as some kind of major achievement! Let's face it - if you're in the middle of a war, worrying about customers claiming on your warranty after a year or so is probably not high on your worry-list.

The capacitors would have been OK for a decade or so. As would the now universally-deprecated Hunts capacitors used by pretty much all UK radio/TV-makers.

Too many of us 'vintage' geeks have horribly unrealistic expectations of component reliability: the historic radios and TVs we're now dealing with are the 1% of survivors - would the purchasers of these really have worried about expecting them to still be working after all these years?
Old 2nd Mar 2016, 11:23 pm   #5
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
The capacitors would have been OK for a decade or so. As would the now universally-deprecated Hunts capacitors used by pretty much all UK radio/TV-makers.
Which comfortably covers the design life of the equipment.
Old 3rd Mar 2016, 3:17 am   #6
RadioHist
Pentode

Thanks gents for your comments. I think you have put my query to rest.

All the best,
Robert
Closed Thread