UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Feb 2016, 5:00 pm   #1
BigClick
Hexode

Default Identify Output Transformer

Hi folks,

I am hoping to get some information on the operating values of an unknown transformer, see pic attached.

It came out of a self-build Mullard 5-10 amp

I have measured resistance across all combinations on each side.

I would like to know what the primary and secondary winding impedances are but I don’t know how to work this out from the DC resistance or in fact if this is possible. I am hoping the fact it came from a popular vintage amp will help.

I also would like to know what the windings look like in relation to the wires.

Any pointers would be welcome,

Ray
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	output transformer.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	120413  
Old 21st Feb 2016, 10:07 pm   #2
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Default Re: Identify Output Transformer

Hi Ray, it looks like one of the many that were produced by various firms for this popular amp. The 2 primary halves have the sec windings wound in the middle of them, hence sec resistances are about equal while primary resistances vary a lot due to the different mean lengths of turns.
Red is HT+, the two yellows are either anodes
The sec windings will have been connected in parallel for 4R and series for 16R.

If you apply a low voltage 50Hz signal you will be able to work out the turns ratio and phase relationships between the windings.

Ed
Old 21st Feb 2016, 10:34 pm   #3
WaveyDipole
Nonode

There is also a detailed description of the self-build Mullard 5-10 amp here:
http://www.r-type.org/articles/art-003e.htm
Near the bottom where it provides the component list, it mentions some of the transformer brands and types that may have been used.

I did wonder about that diference in measured resistance, but Ed has already provided the explanation.
Old 22nd Feb 2016, 12:07 am   #4
BigClick
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_Dinning View Post
Hi Ray, it looks like one of the many that were produced by various firms for this popular amp.
Brilliant thanks Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveyDipole View Post
Near the bottom where it provides the component list, it mentions some of the transformer brands and types that may have been used.
Cheers WD. I might try and look up a few of those in addition to trying out the phasing test explained by ED.
Closed Thread