UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Feb 2016, 3:11 pm   #1
John_BS
Octode

Default Johnson & Matthey: resistance wire book

Another scan for posterity; dated 1952. Some alloys I've never heard of!

John
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Elec resistancemat smlr.pdf (1.75 MB, 329 views)
Old 18th Feb 2016, 6:15 pm   #2
pmmunro
Octode

Default Re: Johnson & Matthey: resistance wire book

John,

Many thanks for taking the trouble to scan and post this interesting and useful information.

I will be filing it for future consultation.

PMM
Old 18th Feb 2016, 6:36 pm   #3

The Colvern 'Cam corrected precision potentiometer' is marvellous, I want one just to fiddle with. A mechanical look up table, bet that was fun to adjust.

Old 18th Feb 2016, 7:52 pm   #4
TonyDuell
Dekatron

I have a couple of cam-corrected potentiometers in ex-miliatary/aircraft units (not quite sure what they came from, they have differential gearing to the pot, with the inputs coming from a stepper motor and (in one unit) a hand control or (in the other) a DC motor.

They are quite interesting, there is a cam ring with many screws round it, so that adjusting the screws causes the ring to slightly distort (up and down) forming the cam surface. The rotor has the moving contact on a sort of linkage arangement so that the cam moves it sideways slightly. The idea is to correct for non-linearity in the wirewound 'track' by moving the contact to correct for this.
Closed Thread