UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Feb 2020, 6:42 pm   #1
kestrelmusic
Hexode

Default Broadcast frequency standards

I'm looking for a couple of broadcast frequency standards to calibrate my recently restored signal generator. Compared with the BBC signal at 198kc/s it seems to be spot on, but am I right in assuming that this is always reliable?

Also, can anyone recommend other broadcast frequencies in the LW and MW bands that are consistently reliable (and, preferably, fairly powerful)?
Old 19th Feb 2020, 11:46 pm   #2
kalee20
Dekatron

Default Re: Broadcast frequency standards

My understanding is that MW and LW license conditions stipulate frequency has to have max error of 10Hz.

The BBC Droitwich transmitter is linked to a rubidium frequency standard at the NPL so will be far, far better.

Any powerful station you can identify - Google should give info, such as frequency of transmission!

Doubtless others will comment and confirm or refute!
Old 20th Feb 2020, 12:42 am   #3
Colinaps
Pentode

Anthorn on 60kHz but there isn't a constant carrier. There are still a lot of frequency standards going about that lock on to it. Or if you want to spend a few quid, buy a GPS locked synth kit from someone like QRP Labs - which would probably render the sig gen a bit redundant!

Cheers,

Colin mm1aps
Old 20th Feb 2020, 11:00 am   #4
Julesomega
Nonode

All the UK networked transmitters are synchronised within about 50mHz which is 5×10^-8
Examples are R5 on 693 & 909kHz, Absolute R 1215, Talksport 1053 & 1089

It's good here
Old 20th Feb 2020, 11:55 am   #5
Julesomega
Nonode

See also thread Synchronising Transmitters

It's good here
Old 20th Feb 2020, 1:54 pm   #6
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

The above link was corrupted in a way that Microsoft Edge could correct, but Google Chrome could not.
http://https//vintage-radio.net/foru...ad.php?t=73601

this should be UK on all

https://vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=73601
Old 20th Feb 2020, 5:02 pm   #7
paulsherwin

I've edited it.
Old 20th Feb 2020, 6:37 pm   #8
Radio Wrangler

I think the transmissions that are intended to be useable are MSF at 60kHz then MSF and WWV on 5 and 10MHz

Long and medium waves don't get a look-in.

If you want good accuracy then a GPS corrected oscillator is probably the easiest thing to arrange. +/-10Hz on a medium wave transmitter is only +/- 10ppm which isn't too wonderful.

David
Old 20th Feb 2020, 7:47 pm   #9
kestrelmusic
Hexode

Many thanks for these helpful replies.

I'm glad to report that my old Taylor signal gen is bang on accurate on LW; on MW it is very close at the low frequency end and within about 5pc at the high frequency end.
Old 20th Feb 2020, 11:21 pm   #10
G0HZU_JMR
Dekatron

Yes, I think pretty much all MW stations will be a safe bet in terms of accuracy when it comes to checking the dial on a typical vintage signal generator. Presumably you used a radio receiver and listened to the beat note of the sig gen and each radio station. I think that method would be OK to use?

Quote:
My understanding is that MW and LW license conditions stipulate frequency has to have max error of 10Hz.
That seems to be about right based on a few quick checks. I had a quick tune across MW in 9kHz steps with a Tek RTSA and on quite a few frequency slots I could see several carriers clustered within maybe 2 or 3 Hz of the correct frequency. Each one was slowly fading up and down so I think these were genuine (but very weak) radio stations from across Europe.

BBC R5 on 693kHz and Talksport on 1089kHz and the station on 1215kHz seemed to be very accurate although the analyser can only go down to about 30mHz resolution BW before it gets so slow it is unusable. In this mode the analyser is effectively just a big and fast ADC clocked from a reference derived from a decent 10MHz OCXO.