UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Dec 2019, 9:52 am   #1
Steve G4WCS
Heptode

Default Rotary position sensor ideas?

Im thinking about putting together a small 12 volt rotator system, for my truck static mobile hill topping next year.

doing a search of worm gears has brought up a cheap source of 12V dc worm geared motor drives, which has much simplified the drive design, however I need a simple means of position indicating.

I have in my collection a load of small reed relays, so could do a fixed board with a number of those on and a rotating disc with a small magnet on it, and a number of leds on the control box, but this would mean multicore wiring between the rotator and control box.

I also have Bourns precision 10k 10 turn pots, so could feed the control unit with a DC position dependent voltage. this could then be used to drive a number of options for position indication, ranging from an LM3914 driving bar graph LEDS, to an a/d converter, display driver, and a 7 segment LED degree display, but it really doesnt need to be so complicated.

Has anyone either done this or seen a tried and tested circuit, don't want to re-invent the wheel if possible.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1EB64945-1D8B-4349-8494-C5763DDC8DBC.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	195230  
Old 12th Dec 2019, 11:51 am   #2
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: rotary position sensor ideas

How about one of those little fluxgate magnetometer compass modules mounted on your mast.

Whichever way you park the truck, the readout gives you the bearing.

David
Old 12th Dec 2019, 2:42 pm   #3
Steve G4WCS
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
How about one of those little fluxgate magnetometer compass modules mounted on your mast.

Whichever way you park the truck, the readout gives you the bearing.

David
are they bluetooth or something ?

posting this here so I dont lose the link

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/...ircuit.120242/
Old 12th Dec 2019, 2:58 pm   #4
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Rotary position sensor ideas?

The commercial rotators by the likes of CDE, Hy-Gain etc generally just use a potentiometer, a DC supply and a meter.

Of course a traditional pot only has something like 300 degrees of rotation, so you would either need to gear it down, or use a 5- or 10-turn over a restricted part of its travel.

A 270-degree meter (as used on industrial control-panels etc) suitably recalibrated would make a good angle-of-twist display.
Old 12th Dec 2019, 3:08 pm   #5
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

Use a synchro transmitter and receiver.

Andy
Old 12th Dec 2019, 4:24 pm   #6

Quote:
Brilliant!

Funnily enough I have just used said motor for my loop antenna. I used a 2:1 reduction gear to a pot and an old radio control servo board to "do the magic", works a treat over 100 feet of cable. I merrily send a pulse between 1 and 2ms and it goes to a position.

Here it is before installation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P2920102.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	195252  

Old 13th Dec 2019, 12:36 am   #7
Terry_VK5TM
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve G4WCS View Post

are they bluetooth or something ?
No, you need extra electronics of some sort to read the data out of them.
Closed Thread