UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Member Introductions and News

Notices

Member Introductions and News A place where members can introduce themselves and post occasional news about themselves.

Old 12th Jul 2018, 9:54 am   #1
4wheeldave
Diode

Post Hi. New record player lover first post

For me it's always been records and players. Born in 62 my first record player was a second hand one and was so not great. I was about eight. My first record was Geoff Love and his orchestra playing TV themes mainly for the Persuaders theme cos was a huge Roger Moore fan. First single was Circles by The New Seekers. I have every record I ever bought and they all play good. My collection includes every James Bond soundtrack from Dr No to Roger's last film A View To A Kill.

Anyway at age about ten I bought second hand from my older brother's best School mate a Fidelity HF 35 in A1 condition. It was a transistor or solid state as they were called and had a BSR deck with four speeds and the black tone arm with no cueing bit sticking out for your finger to hold when placing the arm manually. It was blue in colour with a beige lid.

I loved it but soon wanted my own stereo so after using the HF35 till I was about 14 bought a stereo from my mum's Kay's catalogue. For the life of me I can't remember it's make. It only lasted about two years and one of the channels went the left I think. Out of the same catalogue I then bought another one and I remember it well it was a Van Der Molen. Belt drive. Better than the other one.

Anyway time moved on I grew up married and my wife and I had a MD02 Hitachi music system which I still have. I don't know what happened to the HF35 but wish I still had it but I do have the next best thing. I have my wife's Fidelity HF 43 in orange with a beige lid. It's a more modern BSR deck three speeds and a tone arm with a cue bit sticking out. My wife didn't know she still had it but has recently done a house clearance at her aunty's house and found it. It's not been used for thirty years and is in great condition. The turn table was seized but I freed it by just turning it by hand. it works great. Got a new stylus off the net and it's my pride and joy. I have a Marantz deck as my main player but am just enjoying the HF43 so much. I have been reading this forum for a while now and decided to join. Thanks for reading.
4wheeldave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jul 2018, 9:23 pm   #2
SiriusHardware
Octode

Default Re: Hi. New record player lover first post

Hello Dave, greetings. If you can recall details like the model number of your Fidelity record player from so long ago, I think you'll fit in quite well here.

I'm wondering if your first stereo was also a Fidelity, either UA3 or UA4 as both had notoriously fragile audio output ICs, but, given that your mono player was a Fidelity I would have thought that would have stuck in your mind.

The first record player I can remember us (as a family) owning was a Magnavox-branded 'portable' stereo record player the size of a bulky suitcase - one speaker was in one end of the enclosure and the other clipped onto the main enclosure and unclipped so it could be put a reasonable distance away from the main unit when used. That was a valve based unit.

For reasons unknown to me that was eventually replaced with a 'Tellux Audic 5' which was a strange hybrid of record player and 8-track player, very bottom of the range, with then 'modern' styling - 'smoked glass' plastic cover for the record deck, a teak base and identical teak-effect free standing / wall mountable speakers, bought from somewhere like Rumbelows (but possibly not Rumbelows) in North Shields.

Most of my own stereo gear was originally cobbled together, a deck scrounged from somewhere, a homebrew amp at least partly based on Mullard audio modules.
SiriusHardware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jul 2018, 10:05 pm   #3
4wheeldave
Diode

Default Re: Hi. New record player lover first post

Thanks for that. Definitely my first stereo was not a Fidelity sorry. Also I can only remember the model number of my Fidelity HF35 because I have found photos of identical ones on the net. I remember well it was a Fidelity but did not remember the number. I paid about five pounds for it or my parents did. It was immaculate. I have posted photos now of my orange HF43 so have a look on my profile. I am so pleased with it and if you see the photos I am sure you will agree what great condition it's in. I can also remember my parents' first stereo it was white in colour with white speakers that dad put on the wall. It was an Ultra Group stereo with a BSR deck including auto changer and it sounded great. My brother had a record player also but his had a Garrard deck and pretty sure it may have been valved.

Thanks for your reply. Take care.
4wheeldave is offline   Reply With Quote