UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Jan 2018, 3:03 pm   #1
amenchaosc
Retired Dormant Member

Default Help with a Sharp SG320e music centre

Hi everyone! I have a Sharp SG320e music centre which I bought new in the late 1970's. It's been up in the loft for about 30 years, but now it's down! It was working perfect when I put it away...but now..

It has a ceramic cartridge, I believe, but the stylus is bent and had it. These are about £10 each. I've lightly touched the underside of the cartridge, which causes 'sounds' from the speakers, so hopefully that means the cartridge is ok. Didn't want to waste £10 if the cartridge is shot.

The cassette makes a thudding sound like a machine gun when I press the play button and the radio works, albeit with not great volume. There seems to be some hiss and hum going on especially when I turn the volume up.

The drive motor for the rim drive is a little noisy especially on the 33rpm setting, so i'm thinking it needs a good clean and lube.

I would dearly love to have this working perfectly again, because I seem to remember it sounding quite good when I put it away.

Does anyone know of a reputable repair person who would give the Sharp a service and have it running again, in the Spalding, Lincolnshire area. Do you think this would be a very expensive job?

Thanks for your time!
Old 9th Jan 2018, 7:09 pm   #2
sp10mk11
Octode

Default Re: Help with a Sharp SG320e music centre

If I could help you I would as I have some years experience these machines as have a few others on here.
Alas I live in Cornwall which too far, sorry
Good luck
Gary
Old 9th Jan 2018, 7:34 pm   #3
Andrew2
Nonode

I must have repaired/serviced hundreds of these excellent music centres in the 80's, but I can't recall much about them now except that they were very well regarded.
The thudding sound from the cassette deck probably means the capstan drive belt has turned to goo and wrapped itself around the motor pulley. You'll probably need a whole new set of belts & tyres for the deck. Alternatively, it could be low-frequency instability due to a dirty record/play change-over switch. Try inserting a recordable cassette (not a pre-recorded musicassette) and putting the deck into and out of record mode several times. This should clean the switch. If not, try a brief squirt of Servisol into the switch.
Low vol/distortion is often down to a dirty selector bank. Careful use of servisol and plenty of button-pushing usually clears it up.

As you guess, a good clean and lube of the record deck is a good starting point.

Last edited by Andrew2; 9th Jan 2018 at 7:43 pm.
Old 10th Jan 2018, 2:20 pm   #4
amenchaosc
Retired Dormant Member

If only you lived nearer Gary!... and I wasn't so useless with electrical audio repairs.

Thanks for the advice Andrew! Also nice to hear you say that these music centres were excellent... I wasn't looking at it through rose coloured spectacles after all!
Old 10th Jul 2018, 2:42 pm   #5
amenchaosc
Retired Dormant Member

Default Sharp SG320E. No power

Hi everyone! My Sharp 320e music centre has been running quite well since I retrieved it from the loft a few months back, but i've just pressed the 'power-up' button and there's nothing. Doesn't light up or anything.

Obviously, I've tried replacing the plug fuse and checking the wires are sound in the plug, but still no joy. I'm not very electrically minded, but if anyone can think of what else I could try, I would be most grateful!

Thanks for your time,

Chris
Old 10th Jul 2018, 5:58 pm   #6
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Sharp SG320E. No power

Not being sure how long this was stored in the loft before you used it again, do bear in mind that this system is now around 40+ years old. Noting you have checked the mains fuse, are there internal fuses inside the unit or visible from the rear?
Old 10th Jul 2018, 11:38 pm   #7
ben
Dekatron

It could also be a mechanical problem with the switch. I had this recently with a Grundig unit from the late 70s. The switch moved and made a clunk but the internal contacts weren´t moving properly. But do check the fuses. A look at the schematic or service manual would indicate how many they are and their location.
Old 13th Jul 2018, 3:55 pm   #8
amenchaosc
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks very much for your replies ben and Edward! I will check inside for more fuses as suggested and have a look at the on/off switch too.

Regards

Chris
Closed Thread