UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Nov 2016, 3:31 pm   #1
allobytw
Retired Dormant Member

Default Studer A807 Disassembly help

Hi, hello everyone. A friend of mine has asked me to look at a Studer A807, he thinks it needs new belts. I have been trying to remove the top panel, but it seems like its got a screw under bottom right that I can't see or access. Could anyone help with advice, or a diagram on disassembly. I think its a Mk1.
Thanks in advance, Alby.
Old 15th Nov 2016, 6:49 pm   #2
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Default Re: Studer A807 Disassembly help

No belts, for a start. What exactly is the matter with it?
Old 15th Nov 2016, 8:24 pm   #3
allobytw
Retired Dormant Member

Hi thanks for reply when I was asked to look at it he said it needed new belts ,because I am not familiar with these I never questioned him .I will try and contact him to find exact problem and get back to you.But I would still like instructions for disassembly to clean it etc.
Old 15th Nov 2016, 8:41 pm   #4
allobytw
Retired Dormant Member

I have spoken to my mate he said It switches on but when you press play nothing happens,up till now he said it has been a great machine running with no problems.
Old 15th Nov 2016, 11:12 pm   #5
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

First thing to check on these is the power rails, which are protected by internal fuses. Best also to download the service manual from the Studer site - these are complex beasties and a pain to work on because they aren't modular, so best to have the maps by you before you delve too deeply.
Old 16th Nov 2016, 1:17 pm   #6
allobytw
Retired Dormant Member

Hi thanks for advice.

Will it show me how to remove the top in THE service manual? What manual is it?
Old 16th Nov 2016, 2:01 pm   #7
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Google Studer A807 Service Manual and you will see a link to the manual in pdf form from the Studer ftp site.
Old 16th Nov 2016, 4:46 pm   #8
allobytw
Retired Dormant Member

Ok thanks will do that I will let you know how I get on.
Old 16th Nov 2016, 10:49 pm   #9
allobytw
Retired Dormant Member

I took your advice and checked the fuses 2 are blown a T2 and a T4 I. have ordered some from RS ,is this common with these machines.
Old 16th Nov 2016, 10:55 pm   #10
vidjoman
Dekatron

Well, fuses blow for a reason. In this or other machines. Before fitting you should try to find out why they blew. First find out what part of the circuit they protect then try and find the reason.

Last edited by vidjoman; 16th Nov 2016 at 10:55 pm. Reason: Spell checker
Old 16th Nov 2016, 11:30 pm   #11
Michael Maurice

Eckoing Vidjoman and Ted's posts, if there is a short somewhere you could do considerable damage.

Looking at the manual, F4 is for the 20V supply, F2 is for the 50V supply

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 17th Nov 2016, 8:13 am   #12
Radio Wrangler

Fuses have a wearout mechanism. They age depending on time and current. The rated current is the value of continuous current which will cause them to blow in 1000 hours as the mean of a large number of samples. Reduce the current, and the time to blow increases fairly rapidly. You need quite a large percentage over-current to pop one rapidly. Fuses which regularly handle large current surges, but not big enough for an immediate blow, exhibit shortened lifetimes.

Studer knew what they were doing and picked fuse values wisely. But A807 machines are old now and anyone who could justify their new price had some serious paying work for them to do.

It is quite possible that the fuse died of natural causes through age and acceptable currents.

It is also possible that something down-stream of it has failed, like a decoupling capacitor going short-circuit, and the fuse did its job.

Playing safe involves testing the circuitry which the fuse protects before replacing the fuse and powering it up again. Some people say that whatever damage there is downstream has likely already been done and there won't be much more risk in trying a replacement fuse of the exact right rating. These people are not always right. It's a gamble. How lucky do you feel? With a rare and desirable machine where spares aren't always available, I wouldn't gamble.

David
Old 17th Nov 2016, 3:01 pm   #13
allobytw
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks I really appreciate all your help and advice I will look for any obvious damage and test the 2 supplys before I replace fuses.Will keep you updated.
Old 18th Nov 2016, 7:17 pm   #14
allobytw
Retired Dormant Member

I checked each line and nothing was blown or faulty so I replaced fuses and the machine seems to be working normally although I have not got any tapes to fully test it ,the play reel/rewind have life again.I am now waiting for tapes to try fully so again thanks to members who have guided me and I will update I can test fully.
Closed Thread