UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Oct 2013, 3:06 pm   #1
Ian - G4JQT
Octode

Default Mystery object

While tidying my garage, I found the object in the photos. It's about seven inches long - it's lying on a sheet of A4 for scale.

The 'handle' appears to be made of black plastic, but the rest is of non-magnetic metal.

It has three groups of loose toothed wheels - some of the teeth line up and others don't.

This is a real mystery. It looks new, or at least unused. I keep finding it but am reluctant to throw it away in case I discover what it's for.

I can only assume it came with something else - to help set it up. But I don't have any fancy gear I can associate it with.

Any ideas welcome - I know forum members have a very wide range of experiences and skills so I guess someone might know what it is.

Regards,

Ian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04496.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	85563   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04495.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	85564  
Old 30th Oct 2013, 3:08 pm   #2
Station X

Default Re: Mystery object

It's a grinding wheel dresser similar to this:-

http://www.rapidonline.com/Tools-Equ...FQXHtAodIEoAWA

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 30th Oct 2013, 3:27 pm   #3
Refugee
Dekatron

I would vote for an Artex edging wheel. It would be run around the edges of the ceiling to create a formal edge.
It does not look sturdy enough to be a grinding wheel dresser.
Old 30th Oct 2013, 4:14 pm   #4
AC/HL
Dekatron

You won't find out what it is until you do throw it away. It's one of the fundamental laws of the Universe.
Old 30th Oct 2013, 5:14 pm   #5
Ian - G4JQT
Octode

Ah-haaa!! Yes, a grinding wheel dresser - although I didn't know there were such things! I guess it could have appeared around the same time I was gifted a new grinding wheel - whether I wanted/needed one or not.

So I was right in supposing it came with something else.

I'll have to look up the wheel instructions to discover when and how to dress the wheel, or find a how-to-use-it Youtube video!

Thanks.

Ian
Old 30th Oct 2013, 7:02 pm   #6
MotorBikeLes
Nonode

The "teeth" on the dresser are very hard, so in use there is quite a bit of flying abrasive grit, so use with caution and goggles.
Hold it firmly down on the rest, and advance it slowly to the wheel. DO NOT PRESS. Just move it carefully side to side for as long as it takes (NOT long) to get a clean surface on the wheel.
Needless to say, you must ONLY use it on the outer periphery. Never use the side of the wheel with a normal grindstone.
Les.
Old 30th Oct 2013, 7:07 pm   #7

They are a bit scary to use (even for me!) I prefer the diamond point ones. www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24741832 (bottom of page)

Old 30th Oct 2013, 8:46 pm   #8
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Definitely an old fashioned grinding wheel dresser, with toothed (tungsten carbide?) wheels. Many years ago they were superseded by cheap industrial diamond dressers which are widely used in industry and by wooodturners, model engineers etc. Some use a single diamond which you guide across the toolrest, but unless used with skill, will leave grooves in the wheel. (typical grindstones run at 2,88 RPM so if you pause for a fraction of a second, the wheel will not just be 'dressed' but scored). Others diamond dressers have much smaller diamonds fixed onto a wider tool head and are easier to use, don't leave grooves and only take a few seconds to dress the wheel. EG:

http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalo...amond-Dressers

(No connection except as an occasional customer).

At below a tenner, they're cheaper than the toothed wheel ones used to cost, which were really quite a crude device, with the wheels clattering away as they rotate, driven by contact with the grindstone.
Old 31st Oct 2013, 12:25 am   #9
glowinganode
Octode

Both types of dresser have their uses.
The star type dresser will open up a loaded or clogged wheel and is used when rough grinding and with softer metals.
A diamond dresser leaves a much closer surface which will give a finer or sharper finish, but is more likely to load up and glaze.
There are also dressing sticks which are a good compromise between the two.
Rob.
Old 31st Oct 2013, 12:34 am   #10
alanworland
Heptode

I had one of these but now use a diamond dresser - but both make one hell of a mess!
I unbolt the grinder and do it outside.

Alan
Closed Thread