UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Oct 2013, 3:51 pm   #1
Tony1951
Tetrode

Default Philips 371A - dodgy bandswitch

I acquired a nice Philips 371a a couple of years ago and did the usual capacitor replacement jobs thanks to advice from members here.

I used it regularly for a couple of weeks after I did it up, and a problem occurred with the radio losing signal on some bands. This was rapidly sorted with a few squirts of Servisol 10 and working the switch a few times.

Recently I started using the radio again and I have had to re-apply the same treatment twice in four days. Any suggestions about what to do next would be welcome. I am a bit reluctant to do anything aggressive with the switch as it would be easy to ruin and hard to replace.

Are the contacts silver plated or brass? They look black with thin lines of a lighter colour visible on contact surfaces in the gloom of the radio's interior.

Should I persist with the servisol, or is there something a bit more effective for this job?
Old 16th Oct 2013, 4:29 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Philips 371A - dodgy bandswitch

From memory the contacts are brass.

It's possible the sprung wipers are getting tired, in which case there's not much you can do, but I would try cleaning the contacts with a cotton bud moistened with WD40. The oil film may be enough to stop the contacts oxidising again.

Don't just spray WD40 everywhere though.
Old 17th Oct 2013, 2:46 pm   #3
Tony1951
Tetrode

Thanks for the advice Paul. I will try a dab or two of WD40 next time it goes silent.

Always appreciate the good advice I get here.
Old 28th Oct 2013, 1:47 pm   #4
telstar
Octode

Hi. This also happened on my Philips 371U variation. I will have to try some WD40 on this and see if it helps. Fortunately for me, I also have a scrap chassis, so may remove my spare switch and see if it is ok and replace the one on my complete radio.
Cheers
Mike
Closed Thread