UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Mar 2017, 12:04 am   #1
IanNVJ35
Heptode

Default Panasonic HD660 VCR performance a bit off

This is my main timeshift VCR and it gets used for about four hours per week. I like it as it has high quality heads, manual levels and uses the K deck - probably one of the best Panasonic mechanisms in my opinion.

Well I think maybe over the last few weeks it is starting to not be quite 100% as on high contrast exchanges (like black text on white screen) the tapes it records have small black 'firing lines' like worn heads from these areas. This is only subtle, but it is not right - I am a bit of a perfectionist!

In all other aspects it seems fine, and initially I thought it was the tape at fault, but no, recording the same scene on a HS950 has no firing lines at all. I looked at the heads under a loupe and they look the same as ones on a new drum - plenty of protrusion and no flats.

Is there something like failing capacitors somewhere like PSU or head amp that can cause this? Or could it be failing head even if not worn out?

The deck is from 1996 - so relatively modern. PSU is not the old style one in a metal box - its open to the air.

Thanks for any input - I'm not sure what it could be.
Old 20th Mar 2017, 12:23 am   #2
Grubhead
Heptode

Default Re: Panasonic HD660 VCR performance a bit off

You should check the capacitors. Look for any that have bulges on the top, or anything coming out on them. There are plenty of threads on here that point to capacitors for these odd type of faults with the picture.
Old 20th Mar 2017, 12:39 am   #3
IanNVJ35
Heptode

Thanks - and I will probably end up changing PSU capacitors. I was wondering if perhaps any other capacitors need attending while I am in there. Not much said here about these later VCR's, but even these are 21 years old now.
Old 20th Mar 2017, 3:34 am   #4
Maarten
Dekatron

A loupe may not provide sufficient magnification to see anything wrong with the heads. They may be subtly clogged or worn.
Old 20th Mar 2017, 11:10 am   #5
Nicklyons2
Octode

I agree with Maarten, I'd look into giving the heads a thorough clean and also the drum spiral guide in case debris is not allowing the tape to get close enough to the drum. Another possible cause is lack of back tension. A useful test of head wear/clogging is to see whether the 'pause' and 'shuttle search' picture quality is impaired.
Old 20th Mar 2017, 12:07 pm   #6
IanNVJ35
Heptode

Thanks. All tape path items are super clean - head is spotless clean and I do it by hand with the correct tools. All pause and FF RW visual search are smooth with no lines beyond the usual. Saying that it could be subtle damage to the head gap - not wear. These are amorphous heads with the green head tips.

Amazingly I do have a brand new head so will try it to see what happens. Its the sort where you take the centre spindle brush off and just pull the head upwards and it comes out with its bearings and everything - no soldering.
Old 20th Mar 2017, 11:05 pm   #7
IanNVJ35
Heptode

It was the PSU capacitors. Now working perfect. Thanks for the input.
Closed Thread