UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Nov 2016, 12:38 pm   #1
vampyretim
Heptode

Default Sony TC-K444 ES II Service data

Hi all,

I'm trying to repair the above cassette deck which is not playing tapes and seems to trip a relay when you try to.

It's a very complicated cassette deck and I'm not going to get anywhere without service data.

Many thanks,
Tim.
Old 16th Nov 2016, 2:54 pm   #2
TIMTAPE
Octode

Default Re: Sony TC-K444 ES II Service data

I seem to recall that model has a counter to the right side of the deck mechanism. It probably incorporates an "End of Tape" shutoff sensor. If so I'd check the rubber belt is driving the small pulley when there is tape drive. If it isn't that is probably the problem.

Tim
Old 17th Nov 2016, 12:21 am   #3
tri-comp
Heptode

Hi Tim's !

I'm not too sure about this but as far as I remember there were some problems with the auto-stop circuit in these models.
The series actually consists of 3 variants; the TC-K444ES-II, the TC-K555ES and the TC-K666ES all built fairly much alike.
I seem to remember that the auto-stop and speed-control for FF/REW was done with the help of a couple of photo-transistors under the reel-tables.
The underside of the tables were mounted with som silvery reflective plastic-foil in a pattern.
When the transistors gets dirty on the surfaces and/or the reflective foil gets covered in grime the auto-stop will kick-in as it's short of pulses indicating tape-travel.
To fix this just remove the tables and give everything a good cleaning with IPA.

Hope I'm right.
Old 17th Nov 2016, 12:44 am   #4
sp10mk11
Octode

I remember some Sony models that relied on a bulb to energise optical sensors on the right hand spool, if the bulb went then the auto stop would come on rapidly.
Gary
Old 17th Nov 2016, 4:00 am   #5
TIMTAPE
Octode

I checked a ES model I have here. No, no belt. The counter is electronic. So yes there must be sensors of some kind under the reel tables as Tri Comp mentions.. Sorry for the lapse in memory.

Tim
Old 23rd Nov 2016, 11:28 am   #6
vampyretim
Heptode

Hi guys,

Thanks for all your help. I'm having a bit of difficulty finding the parts you describe.

I've uploaded a picture would you mind having a look?

Many thanks,
Tim.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1364
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	133220  
Old 23rd Nov 2016, 1:56 pm   #7
TIMTAPE
Octode

You dont say if the tape reels are turning. Look at the cassette just as you press play. Do the tape reels turn at all, even for a short time?

Looking at the back of the tape drive mechanism, does the rubber belt turn the flywheel when the machine is switched on or when you have a cassette in and press play?

Do tapes fast forward or rewind? Even for a short time?
Old 23rd Nov 2016, 1:56 pm   #8
kevinaston1
Hexode

A quick look around the web does not bring any reuslts for a TC-K444 service manual, but Electrotanya have the TC-K555 service manual; it may be similar enough to help you.

Regards.

kevin
Old 23rd Nov 2016, 3:54 pm   #9
vampyretim
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMTAPE View Post
You dont say if the tape reels are turning. Look at the cassette just as you press play. Do the tape reels turn at all, even for a short time?
Hi Tim,

The take up reel does move for a moment.

Looking at the cassette player from the front I took off the plastic plate that sits behind the cassette tape and I can see the bulb. I can see the sensors behind the plastic reel tables.

When I shine an external lamp on the sensors the deck plays as it should.

The internal bulb does work though.

I want to get behind the reel tables to clean the sensors but can't work out how to do it.

Any idea?

Thanks again,
Tim.
Old 24th Nov 2016, 5:51 am   #10
TIMTAPE
Octode

Sorry, no. I've not had a problem with mine in that regard and so have never needed to dismantle. But good what you've found. Does sound like sensors not receiving the light signal enough.

Tim
Old 24th Nov 2016, 6:05 pm   #11
vampyretim
Heptode

Hello Tim,

I've managed to get to the photo transistors, I've cleaned them but I still have the fault.

It must be the lamp. Can they emit light still if they're on the way out?

The tape player does work with an external lamp but it won't rewind for very long without tripping the relay even with the help of an external lamp. It will fast forward with the help of the external lamp.

It plays fine with the external lamp.

Thanks for taking the time to help me.
Closed Thread