UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Nov 2017, 9:31 am   #21
ct92404
Pentode

Default Re: One Off

Well, I'm sure that right now I'm the only person for many miles around actually watching a black and white tv from 1952!

After I finally managed to fix my Olympic model 755 tv, I have it hooked up and I've been watching it the past few days. I've been watching it more than my LCD tv!

And I'm like 90 percent sure that I'm the only one around my age in the entire city who not only has a tv this old (or would even be interested in one) and is actually watching it!
I just turned 40 a couple of weeks ago, and most of my friends around my age just kind of glaze over whenever I talk about my antique electronics, and just want to go on YouTube or watch football. I've been interested in antiques since I was in my late teens and early 20's. I got my first vacuum tube radio back around 1999 or 2000 when I was about 22. It's a small Westinghouse tabletop radio, I still have it to this day and it works great.

- Chris
Old 17th Nov 2017, 9:57 am   #22
mark pirate
Dekatron

Quote:
I wonder how many people are listening to a valve radio now (as in this moment in time).
I have my 1951 Cossor 501 on as I type, it is used most mornings for radio 4 on long wave.

Mark
Old 17th Nov 2017, 9:48 pm   #23
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Yesterday, I planned to present the GEC BT5144 TV set as the only working set of it's kind in the Universe with a CRT mask made of wood. However, it wasn't to be, the Z77 video amplifier valve flashed over internally and took out the germanium diode vision detector.
Today, the GEX33 diode was replaced with a Mullard OA70, normal vision was restored again.

DFWB.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GEC_BT5144_1.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	152411   Click image for larger version

Name:	GEC_BT5144_XTAL.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	152412  
Old 18th Nov 2017, 10:19 am   #24
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Is that a worm hole in the top right corner of that mask David? J.
Old 18th Nov 2017, 10:27 am   #25
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Yes, through to that parallel universe.

Sorry, I'll get my coat.
Old 18th Nov 2017, 11:41 am   #26
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

And hat. J.
Old 18th Nov 2017, 12:54 pm   #27
Vintage Engr
Heptode

I totally agree with Argus about keeping these units working & in the hands of collectors.

I delivered a repaired Garrard vintage turntable back to someone last week, who then proudly showed me his vintage TV, a 23" Philips that had been turned into a bookshelf.

I was horrified, so came back home & watched 'Quatermass & the pit' on a Philips 17TG100U.
I felt better, and like others who have posted above, wondered if any one else was watching it too...

David.
Old 18th Nov 2017, 1:36 pm   #28
FERNSEH
Dekatron

"....who then proudly showed me his vintage TV, a 23" Philips that had been turned into a bookshelf."

It's amazing how these folks are so proud of the butchered up horrors they make out of old TV cabinets, fish tanks and that bookcase and of course you'll all remember my green Decca 121. There's still traces of green on the cabinet surfaces.

DFWB.
Old 18th Nov 2017, 4:53 pm   #29
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

Maybe we should start buying up bookcases, fish-tanks and cocktail cabinets, and turning them into TV's!

Regards,
Lloyd
Old 18th Nov 2017, 5:46 pm   #30
MonochromeMarc
Pentode

FERNSEH's made a good start with the green monster !

Marc.
Closed Thread