UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Nov 2017, 8:50 pm   #1
Bookman
Hexode

Default Beocenter2200

Always one for reviewing alternative sounds I was able to purchase a nigh on new Beocenter2200 music centre. The sound from the radio would suggest a bit of quality is available but the turntable has me a bit perplexed.

When selecting phono the platter revolves nicely and the arm moves over to where it should drop down and begin playing. There lies the problem in that the arm does not drop.
I had thought that there may be transit screws for consideration but where are they? I have been advised to just lift off the platter but a couple of millimetres and that's it, no more.
Looking at the stylus (MMC5) it looks brand new and I am wondering if this thing has ever been set up.
I feel a bit daft putting such a fundamental question to the forum but ask I must.
Old 9th Nov 2017, 9:09 pm   #2
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Default Re: Beocenter2200

Lift the turntable at one side to break the seal, it may be fastened with double sided tape. I will post pictures of my Beocenter 7002 which I believe is similar.

John.
Old 9th Nov 2017, 9:11 pm   #3
frankmcvey
Rest in Peace

Hi, BM,

The Beocenter 2200 manual is here, and describes the setting up procedure. Good luck.

Cheers,

Frank
Old 9th Nov 2017, 9:22 pm   #4
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

#2 does not apply to the BC2200, sorry.

John.
Old 9th Nov 2017, 9:58 pm   #5
Bookman
Hexode

Hi Frank,
Thanks for the manual but I did actually have one. It makes reference to finger holes and removable panels which seem not to exist? I used the word perplexed but should have actually said flummoxed.
Old 9th Nov 2017, 10:26 pm   #6
Ambientnoise
Heptode

Are the finger holes under the turntable mat ?
Take good care of that stylus, the cost of replacements will make your eyes water !

Ken
Old 10th Nov 2017, 10:02 am   #7
Bookman
Hexode

Hi Ken,
The holes could be under the turntable mat but the mat does not come off and eyes water yes plus the utterance of a few expletives.
Thanks
Joe
Old 10th Nov 2017, 11:26 am   #8
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Are there any instructions under the set? As I read it you are looking for a gap around the perimeter of the platter, to get a finger under and lift to break the Double sided sticky tape. I believe what you see is sitting on top of a metal turntable. I will include pictures of what I mean on my BC7002. Just two of the three small rectangular attachment points can be seen.

Good luck with it John.

I think the large plastic disk referred to in the instructions is what we call the platter, it is covering the turntable mechanism, just have to get a finger under it and pull it off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BC7002 001.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	152041  

Last edited by 60 oldjohn; 10th Nov 2017 at 11:43 am. Reason: Added last line
Old 10th Nov 2017, 11:39 am   #9
Bookman
Hexode

Quote:
Are there any instructions under the set? As I read it you are looking for a gap around the perimeter of the platter, to get a finger under and lift to break the Double sided sticky tape. I believe what you see is sitting on top of a metal turntable. I will include pictures of what I mean on my BC7002. Just two of the three small rectangular attachment points can be seen.
Thanks John, I'll give it a shot.
Joe
Old 10th Nov 2017, 12:40 pm   #10
Bookman
Hexode

Well John your comments were sufficient to provide that leap of faith that was needed to exert a force more akin to a touch like a blacksmith. The aluminium platter was firmly attached but gave way eventually; phew?

This then revealed the plastic cover referred to in the manual. This in turn is glued to an aluminium spoked turntable; another phew? That fact notwithstanding there are three thumb screw type transit screws that need to be turned anti clockwise; which I did.
I reversed the procedure and switched on but the arm still did not drop. I therefore gave the pivot assembly a couple of blasts of WD40 contact cleaner. I also removed the platter cover again and manually operated the mechanism solenoids; just in case any were stuck.
Low and behold it worked first time. Currently, it's flexing its muscles with Sur la Mer by the Moodies. Quite apt given my current place of domicile.

Clearly, the manual ought have mentioned the possible need to given the platter a bit of a pull?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00757.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	152047   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00758.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	152048  
Old 10th Nov 2017, 1:03 pm   #11
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Pleased my input helped. Looks like the disassembly instructions are under the platter. I am pleased you have got it working, But I suspect not for long, If it is like most of the B&B kit I have dealt with the set will switch off after a few minutes. This is often caused by the two Bias pre-sets in the output stage, just need changing and setting up as per instructions. Maybe worth joining the Beoworld forum as a bronze member for free, silver and you can access all B&O circuits.

John.
Old 16th Nov 2017, 3:24 pm   #12
Bookman
Hexode

Here I am again but this time its the cassette player. I have obtained replacement belts from Germany and have removed the 6 screws labelled "B" in the base as instructed on the T/T platter disc cover.

Yes the Radio & Cassette cover does come away from the frame but not fully. It sort of hinges to the rear and I am wondering if there is yet another leap of faith required to exert that extra force so that the cover can be removed?
Can anyone provide more detail in this regard? Similarly, is there then a process that can be suggested that would provide for what should be a straight forward belt replacement activity?
Closed Thread