UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 1st May 2021, 8:09 am   #1
Soundflat
Diode

Default Garrard 209 tonearm not moving

Hi guys,
Lutz from germany here, my first post with a question about a HMV record cabinett incl. a Garrard 209.

I also posted this in another forum, but now found this and it seems a "better" place for my problem.

First of all, please accept apologizes if my english isn't that good and I might have some difficulties to explain my problems.

I received the unit from the UK, really good packed. On a video the seller sent to me, the Garrard was playinga LP with no problem. He just mentioned that the changing won't work.

When I started the unit, I placed some Ventures LPs on it..but the tonearm didn't move. When I put only one LP on it and try to play automaticly, the tonearm also doesn't move.

Seing a picture of the inside under the turntable, I see a swithing block is missing. Is that right? See picture attached.

I have to be honest, though we have tons of vintage record players, I'm NOT able to do much work on my own. Especially when it comes to electricity. But maybe there is someone here who could give me a hint?

Okay, wishing all of you a nice weekend...best
Lutz
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	garrard_209_block.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	232982  
Old 1st May 2021, 9:25 am   #2
vinrads
Dekatron

Default Re: Garrard 209 tonearm not moving

Hi Lutz. I am not sure but is there an arm locking device on these?

Mick.
Old 1st May 2021, 9:36 am   #3
Station X

Service information for this deck is available here:-

https://www.service-data.com/product...52/2960/m12252

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 1st May 2021, 9:59 am   #4
Michael Maurice

The switch is indeed missing so for the motor to run, it has probably been bypassed.

Please make sure the links in the motor connection block are set for 240V.

The arm is locked unless it is set to play, if you are playing manually, you shouldn't use the auto lever just the on lever.

The whole thing needs stripping, cleaning and re greasing. It's not easy.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 1st May 2021, 10:11 am   #5
PsychMan
Octode

Yes there is a tone arm lock, seen just under the arm in the op’s picture.

Make sure this is unlocked, but looks like it is from the picture.

I assume the arm is free to lift and move manually?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9AC8DC9B-7151-4FA8-A0E2-AE8B3E113CBA.jpeg
Views:	63
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	232997  
Old 1st May 2021, 10:14 am   #6
Soundflat
Diode

thanks for the messages, so, I have a service manual already, thanks. Of course I unlocked the arm...saw that..I will try to work it out...hopefully it will run, as I love it already from the look..
Old 1st May 2021, 10:36 am   #7
PsychMan
Octode

Does the platter spin? Have you tried rotating the platter manually, and also moving the arm to the middle of the record to trigger the auto trip? Then move the platter by hand again if it needs some help ?

Like with many of these decks if your do some dismantling and replacing the dried up grease, it will work well. The size selector on these models though is a bit trickier, just take pictures as you go to aid reassembly
Old 1st May 2021, 10:41 am   #8
Soundflat
Diode

Hi again...
yes, the platter spins, but I can get the arm moving (it stucks). Now it just moved to the beginning of the record but won't go down.
Old 1st May 2021, 11:54 am   #9
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Greetings Lutz. When you do get the arm freely working, do be aware that it looks like the old Garrard GC2 or GC8 (Mono only) tone arm up cartridge is still installed, so don't test this on Stereo LPs!
Old 1st May 2021, 7:12 pm   #10
Soundflat
Diode

So..after some more looks inside I should've read better the descrition, as the seller mentioned "all cleaned with WD-40"! All is clean inside..BUT, no grease, no oil, nuthin.

So I assume this will be a project of the rest of my life. Need to teach me a lot, watching YT videos, etc.

i WANT this machine to play records. I just don't undertand why the tonearm isn't moving at all...just a bit when I turn it manually.

So, somethng of the mechanic must stuck...

WellI hope you guys wish me some luck...thanks for all the answers so far...
Lutz
Old 2nd May 2021, 6:16 am   #11
Soundflat
Diode

Hi Edward..
many thanks for the advice..won't test on stereo LPs then. But, haha..far away from testing. Have a nice sunday...
Lutz
Old 2nd May 2021, 1:57 pm   #12
PsychMan
Octode

A lot of these mechs will run dry, but require grease to prevent wear.

But if he’s just sprayed a bit of wd40 here and there he won’t have solved the principal problem - dried and hardened grease preventing free movement of the mechanism. WD40 can be a good cleaner as part of a proper strip down, but only when cleaned off and correct lubricants applied. There’s no shortcuts with these , wd40 alone might help “free” some bits that are stuck, but if you want a properly working deck, it needs careful dismantling, cleaning, lubrication and reassembly.

It can seem intimidating, but take your time, take pictures as you go and work methodically. The main cam under the turntable is a good place to start, and have a read of the stickies on this group.
Old 2nd May 2021, 3:13 pm   #13
Soundflat
Diode

Hi Edward..
many thanks. I decided to make this machine to make a long time project, I want to learn how to fix, also this might help to fix other players I have.

I will slowly try to solve this, clean all and grease/oil where needed. As I'm in germany many advices are a bit hard to understand for me also as you guys use a lot of oil/grease that we don't have here. Not sure which one to get.

Btw: I managed to make it running. It will play a record manually now, of course no automatism, but I will try to solve this. I'm not sure if I will be able to find the missing block for automatic changing.

Wish me good luck ;-)
Old 3rd May 2021, 7:20 am   #14
peter_sol
Octode

Hello.
The missing on / off switch does not matter. The motor may need to run continuously to power the valves.
That will not stop the deck from operating correctly.
Kind regards.
Closed Thread