UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Nov 2016, 8:50 pm   #21
martinhog
Pentode

Default Re: RDE Stereo 10 amplifier

Good evening. Thanks for all your replies and help. The amp should be in my hands just before Christmas. I can then check the valve line up and check for an elusive name panel. As a previous poster said, it does look a bit like the Magneta time amplifier ? More info as I get it, thanks again .

Regards Martinhog
Old 29th Jul 2017, 3:58 pm   #22
martinhog
Pentode

Default Valve Amp Query

Afternoon, I posted about this valve amp at Christmas and got some helpful replies. Well, this is now been passed to me by the original owner. I am trying to find out some about it until a decision is made whether to keep it or sell it.
The pre amp is home made and was made by the original owners brother to enable a turntable to the amp.

Any comments please ? All replies are gratefully received , thank you.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rc46e0u5n...qZoPQQCFa?dl=0
Old 29th Jul 2017, 5:13 pm   #23

Default Re: Valve Amp Query

A more than half decent (almost the best considering the output transformers) EL84 amplifier. Well worth getting going, shouldn't take much considering the quality of build and components.

Old 29th Jul 2017, 5:16 pm   #24
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Valve Amp Query

I can't give you any answers, but I can give you some more questions

If you chose to keep the amplifier, what would you want to do with it?
What size of room?
What speakers?
What sort of music?
From what sort of sources?
Who else will use it?

Some people are prepared to pay money for valve amplifiers because they believe only valves can do the job to their standards. These people cannot understand how other people can listen to things with transistors in them, they assume their hearing must be defective.

Some other people believe that transistors aren't entirely evil, and that if used appropriately can make satisfactory amplifiers. These people cannot understand the prices the first group are prepared to pay for anything with a valve in it. They assume the first group must be fools.

If you are a member of the first group, you might keep it, or more likely you"d sell it to raise money for buying something more highly thought of in hifi circles,.

If you are a member of the second group, you would flog it to the first group and collect more than its objective worth, which would enable you to buy a decent transistor amplifier.

David
Old 30th Jul 2017, 1:06 pm   #25
qualityten
Octode

I would restore it and listen to it for a while before deciding whether to keep or sell it. It has been very well-built.

Restoration would probably involve checking that the capacitors and resistors are okay. Some may well need to be replaced, especially the capacitors. Such parts are not expensive, but it would cost to get someone else to do it. Very worthwhile to learn to do it yourself.

If you decide to sell it unrestored, you could ask here for some advice on how to describe it. E.g. it looks to have Parmeko output transformers, which are valuable and sought after by those who prefer to listen to music amplified by valves.
Old 30th Jul 2017, 2:12 pm   #26
Restoration73
Nonode

I do not know if this is relevant, but an engineer who acquired the total UK stock of spares for the defunct Tandberg operates as "RDE Tandberg" so may be linked.
Old 30th Jul 2017, 3:06 pm   #27
PJL
Dekatron

That is a really nice amplifier with superb build quality. Don't power it up yet as it needs the electrolytics reformed and some of the capacitors replaced first.
Old 30th Jul 2017, 5:50 pm   #28
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

What we don't yet know is what the pre-amp was designed for? Presumably it's Stereo and probably for MM cartridges. This may need some work on noise reduction and better input options/connectors.
Old 11th Aug 2017, 4:19 pm   #29
martinhog
Pentode

Time for an update and thanks for your help and advice. The home brew pre-amp was constructed by my friend's late brother to allow a turntable to be played through the amplifier.

At present, I don't have the time or resources to restore it, much as I would like to, so we have decided to sell it. First I will look into shipping arrangements. The Pre-Amp and actual amplifier can be packed well and sent by courier, my concern being the power supply as it is very heavy, possibly 10KG !.Once I have assessed its shipping abilities, I will add it to the "For Sale " section. It could be collected from Mid Kent or delivered in Kent for a nominal fee. Should I remove the valves and wrap them for transport ?.

Thanks again for all your help
Old 12th Aug 2017, 12:03 am   #30
John Caswell
Hexode

This looks very much like a pair of Mullard "5-10" on a common chassis with a separate power supply, so the Mullard "Green Book" should help.

John
Closed Thread