UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Aug 2017, 5:20 pm   #1
2ombieboy
Pentode

Default MY New WS-32Z308P Wont turn on today

Hi guys got my tv a few days ago the one in the wanted thred the Samsung hd crt 1080i slim fit. today it wont turn on just makes a clicking noise wich is probably a relay and flashes the standby light. if the tv was not so new I would think its a power supply issue but I think its only around 13 years old. has any one got an idea of whats wrong as gutted as its a rare bit of kit and I just got my component cable today fro it

Alan
Old 12th Aug 2017, 5:34 pm   #2
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: MY New WS-32Z308P Wont turn on today

"only" around 13 years old ??

Remember - it could have done many tens of thousands of hours service in that time!

I'd investigate the PSU rails first. The 'click' could be a degauss-relay [degauss is generally controlled separate from the main electronics-PSU]
Old 12th Aug 2017, 6:05 pm   #3
Maarten
Dekatron

Just as with any CRT set: check the line output stage for shorts first, then check all supply rails. 13 years could, depending on the hours used, be twice or more the calculated nominal life expectancy of the set.
Old 12th Aug 2017, 6:36 pm   #4
2ombieboy
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
I'd investigate the PSU rails first. The 'click' could be a degauss-relay [degauss is generally controlled separate from the main electronics-PSU]
yes you could be correct about degauss stays it will click on after a hard restart in the book. got the boards out of it now having 5 min than off to investigate further

Alan
Old 12th Aug 2017, 7:35 pm   #5
Station X

PM me your email address if you want the service manual. It's too big to post here.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 12th Aug 2017, 7:44 pm   #6
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Hi
These were pretty reliable sets. Did it work for you at all? It sounds like it's had a journey which could have shaken all sorts of things so a visual check is a good place to start. Then follow Maarten's advice and check the line stage for shorts. It will be a straightforward fault, I suspect.
I would guess the power supply is working as the light is flashing and is subject to an overload, but it's a while since I worked on these sets, though my back remembers very well!
Glyn
Old 12th Aug 2017, 9:06 pm   #7
Clydeuk
Hexode

I was given one of these a few years ago. The horizontal output transistor was short-circuit and when replaced I found the picture was grossly overscanned and the geometry was all over the place. I didn't leave it on long like that. I found the solution online but can't seem to find it at the moment, and memory is not so good. I think it was a faulty capacitor. So the first thing to check is the horizontal output transistor as I suspect that is shorted.

I was less than impressed with the set after I got it going. Setting the geometry is a nightmare being done through the service menus, and it has to be done for each line standard (480p, 576i, 720p etc.) I could never get it perfect. The flicker was also quite bad on some standards.
Old 12th Aug 2017, 11:00 pm   #8
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

There will be a third harmonic tuning capacitor across the line output transistor which could cause its demise. Value is critical.
I was similarly unimpressed with the early Slimfits but later ones seemed to be better. By this time reasonably priced - and much lighter and slimmer - LCDs and plasmas were on the scene featuring perfect geometry, leading to their inevitable obsolescence.
Glyn
Old 13th Aug 2017, 7:20 am   #9
2ombieboy
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh Anorak View Post
Hi
These were pretty reliable sets. Did it work for you at all? It sounds like it's had a journey which could have shaken all sorts of things so a visual check is a good place to start. Then follow Maarten's advice and check the line stage for shorts. It will be a straightforward fault, I suspect.
I would guess the power supply is working as the light is flashing and is subject to an overload, but it's a while since I worked on these sets, though my back remembers very well!
Glyn
Yes was working fine when first plugged in but just fails to come out of standby I have striped down the tv and removed boards going threw them all now. Then off to maplins to get some caps I don't have any correct values in stock. Few pictures bellow picture of it working was taken on Thursday.

Alan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170810_214236.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	147797   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170812_182819.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	147798   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170812_182824.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	147799  
Old 13th Aug 2017, 10:00 am   #10
D Cassidy
Retired Dormant Member

Hello.
A TV engineer friend of mine had a couple of these sets, both went the same way. The line output transformer flashes internally, which in turn takes out the line output transistor and the geometry control chip giving excess width. The tuning capacitor should be replaced. I doubt Maplin will have them as it's a critical value and rated at about 8kv. Picture quality is only average the wide angle tube is a pain to set up and due to its structure definition at the sides quite poor.
Old 13th Aug 2017, 4:00 pm   #11
Clydeuk
Hexode

I wouldn't bother going out and buying a load of capacitors as you will not hit upon the solution just replacing caps. You need to get a multimeter and measure across the horizontal output transistor, I am convinced that will be short-circuit. If you're not confident with the circuitry you really need someone to help you. Simply replacing capacitors is likely to cause more harm than good due to the possibility of human error. Also as mentioned above the third harmonic capacitor will be a critical value and you won't get that locally. You can't just replace this with something close in value, it has to be exact.

If there is a short across the B+ such as a failed transistor then it will cause the power supply to trip the way you describe.
Old 13th Aug 2017, 7:46 pm   #12
Mad Mal
Tetrode

Check out a mail order/internet company called Greenweld, been around a fair while and they might have the necessary components.
Old 16th Aug 2017, 5:00 pm   #13
2ombieboy
Pentode

think this is beyond my skill set to fix any one local to me in Barnsley area fix it for me?

Alan
Closed Thread