UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Jul 2017, 5:50 pm   #1
Radio Tech
Nonode

Default Ferrograph series 3

Hi folks

Yet another project I have set myself to do, this recorder, came out in 1959 and as a teenager I remember the secondary school I went to had one of these and it was then the teacher in the class got everyone including me to record our voices. I have just started to restore this machine and at the moment I have the machine deck out of the case and the power supply to allow me to do the wood work and the replace the fabric.

Photos and more to follow.

Regards

Ken
Old 31st Jul 2017, 1:24 pm   #2
SteveCG
Nonode

Default Re: Ferrograph series 3

Having dealt with one of these in the past I think you will find that all the paper capacitors need changing (and this includes the large 0.5 uF) due to old-age electrical leakage. But you were probably going to do all this anyway ...
Old 3rd Aug 2017, 10:36 am   #3
Radio Tech
Nonode

Hi folks

Here are some pictures of the machine, I have changed a few of the caps but the electrolytic ones appeared to be ok, although I will at a later stage change these. The main two problems with it are the pinch roller rubber on the capstan shaft, I have changed the pinch roller its self but the sound off the tape still sounds as if the tape is not being pinched correctly. The two drive belts that operate the counter will have to be replaced as and when I can get hold of them.

Ken
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00320.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	147279   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00321.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	147280   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00322.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	147281  
Old 3rd Aug 2017, 10:38 am   #4
Radio Tech
Nonode

And a few more, I have also done some of the rexine covering.

Ken
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00323.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	147282   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00324.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	147283   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00325.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	147284  
Old 3rd Aug 2017, 10:41 am   #5
Radio Tech
Nonode

Here are more photos,

I have also got to look for a round 3 pin bulging mains plug.

Ken
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00326.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	147285   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00327.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	147286   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00328.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	147287   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00329.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	147288  
Old 3rd Aug 2017, 1:06 pm   #6
frankmcvey
Rest in Peace

Hi, Ken,

These Bulgin 22mm 5A free sockets are much in demand for vintage amps, and the price of them has skyrocketed. You'll find plenty of them on Ebay, but seldom less than £30 or more.

There's one here that's quite reasonable at the moment (£9.99 + £3.50).

Cheers,

Frank
Old 4th Aug 2017, 10:55 am   #7
Radio Tech
Nonode

Thanks Frank, but don't have an e bay a/c. One will probably turn up somewhere or the other.

I have still got to sort out he drive belts for this, I took one off and cut the slack out and super glued it together, not I suppose it will last long. Its strange effect on the play back, I can listen to stuff that was recorded on the reel of tape from some other machine which sounds ok but when it comes to making a recording from a known source playing it back does not sound quite right, it sounds as if the tape isn't being pinched correctly. I cant get the rubber pinch roller that's on the capstan shaft, apparently rubber can not be cut or machined in this country only in India.

Ken
Old 4th Aug 2017, 12:18 pm   #8
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

I've got one of these Ken so your well illustrated thread will be a very interesting one to follow.
I thought my case needed renovation but that one looks as though its been submerged...I'll be keen to see how you get on with it! Re the "Bulging" plug [typo post5*] I [may] have one foc in the Ramsbottom store if you don't get a better offer but I won't be back north to check until September.

Cheers,

Dave W
Bexhill
Old 5th Aug 2017, 11:41 am   #9
6110c37
Tetrode

If you can dismount the capstan head it is very likely that I can replace it. It is not difficult (with the right gear) to machine rubber. However as you say that you can play back other tapes, then I would think that there was a recording problem rather that a mechanical deck fault. If you let me have you e-mail I can send you a copy of the Wearite deck manual.
Martin
Closed Thread