UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Feb 2010, 4:04 pm   #1
350i
Triode

Default HMV 655 (Armchair Console) Transfer

Hi all
I have a large HMV 655 (that's the 2-speaker console version of the 650,complete with bookshelves to the rear and a table-lamp socket!) in our sitting room. Though never having been worked on before it actually received stations, just about, when I got it.
It will need refinishing when I restore it and the HMV transfer is damaged. I thought these were unavailable until I saw Gary Tempest's article on his HMV record player in the current Bulletin. He mentions adding a new transfer, but not where he got it from. Any ideas?
This is a great looking radio and I'd like to do a good job so any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
Trevor
Old 17th Feb 2010, 9:36 am   #2
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

Default Re: HMV 655 (Armchair Console) Transfer

These were available in the 80s .Not heard of any since . I need one too.I think this has been asked before a few years back.
Old 17th Feb 2010, 10:06 am   #3
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Provided that you can obtain suitable artwork, transfer film suitable for use with inkjet printers is fairly easy to obtain, and should be suitable. The only probem would be the white areas, which would have to be reproduced as transaprent, and the transfer applied to a white ground.
Old 19th Feb 2010, 3:21 pm   #4
350i
Triode

Thanks for the replies,
to be honest making one myself may be a bit beyond my computer skills. There must be quite a bit of demand for them, so I was surprised nobody was selling them on ebay. The transfer on my own is damaged, here's a pic.
Cheers
Trevor
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1097.JPG
Views:	572
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	32736  
Old 19th Feb 2010, 5:11 pm   #5
Aerodyne
Octode

Hi Trevor
Drop me your email address via a PM and I'll send you a 'restored' scan that should suit your needs. It will require printing on waterslide transfer paper, though.
-Tony
Old 20th Feb 2010, 9:18 pm   #6
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

I need one for my Pre war Hmv TV .Strangely its different to this one on the console, as it has His masters voice above the picture frame ,and small writing below . I assume they are roughly the same age ,late 30 s
Old 22nd Feb 2010, 12:33 pm   #7
brianc
Rest in Peace

Hi Trevor. It may be a little OT but I have a spare, but slightly chipped/scratched, plate glass top for a 655. I had one made for my set and when it arrived it was damaged so they made another. The damage is very slight so I kept it "just in case". Would you like it - FOC, of course. I am willing to pack it for a courier to pick up or you could arrange something through the FCS. Up to you.
Cheers
Brian
Old 24th Feb 2010, 11:07 pm   #8
350i
Triode

PM's sent....
Old 25th Feb 2010, 1:56 pm   #9
Aerodyne
Octode

...and emails sent.
-Tony
Old 25th Feb 2010, 7:02 pm   #10
jetstream320
Tetrode

Mr.Gosling at East Coast Wireless used to have the HMV transfers.
01945 780808. A very helpful and knowlegeable chap.

Last edited by Station X; 31st Mar 2010 at 9:25 am. Reason: Typo.
Old 30th Mar 2010, 8:41 pm   #11
350i
Triode

Hi
just a quick update. East Coast Wireless (they advertise in Radiophile) do indeed stock these. They are the version as seen in my 655 pic but with the writing above and below, probably what you're after Chipp. Not cheap, but good quality.
Thanks to Jetstream for the info...
Regards
Trevor
Old 30th Mar 2010, 11:18 pm   #12
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

I shall take a look thanks .
Old 31st Mar 2010, 10:05 am   #13
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Forgive me for saying but scratch remover (Topps) would make that cabinet superb.

David
Old 1st Apr 2010, 11:55 am   #14
Rejectostat
Hexode

I am going to agree with David, the finish on the cabinet looks eminently restorable to me without the need for re-finishing. I would probably retain the original transfer too, if appropriate applying some thin gold paint to tidy up the "picture frame" if really necessary. Positioned where it is amongst the control knobs I am surprised the transfer isn't more damaged than it appears to be in the photo anyway. But I speak as someone who is quite happy to retain marks showing the passage of time if it means originality can be retained - each to his own etc...
Old 6th Apr 2010, 10:07 pm   #15
350i
Triode

Hi
Thanks for the advice David, believe it or not I haven't actually used scratch remover/cover before. John, great to hear from you again- I think you must have as much experience with large consoles as anyone on here so your opinion is valued.
I'd prefer to keep the original finish and it would be a big job to refinish a large cabinet like this properly, however that was quite a flattering pic. The top has already been stripped, probably a long time ago judging by the many stains and marks. I've attached a few pics, both sides have flaked and peeled a bit but the shelves to the rear are in quite good condition. The transfer looks quite good in the pic but is missing areas around the dogs feet, knee, face, + some scratches.
Internally the condition of the radio is great, although a lot of the cotton covered rubber wire (especially the connecting looms between chassis etc.) have completely perished internally, haven't came across that before. The one fly in the ointment here is that someone (child?) has poked something repeatedly through the side speaker mesh and obliterated the speaker cone, the front one has had similar treatment but at least emits sound. A very kind forum member has offered some help with these. At the moment I'm getting everything together ready for a full restoration, while I finish off another console.
I'm wandering off-thread, so looking at the pics what do people think regarding refinishing?
Cheers
Trevor
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	99201615_o.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	34159   Click image for larger version

Name:	97805546_o.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	34160   Click image for larger version